Operating System - Microsoft
1753873 Members
7276 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP BiDi Channel Components crashing spoolersv.exe on 2008 Terminal Server

Carl Paquet

Nothing from HP yet. The version is dated 25 november.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3271558&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=503548&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005

I have the same issue, I'm just killing the Keys with mom and made a zero bytes MSI. I don't trust beta version, always hard to get support and it's often unstable.
printnk
Valued Contributor

Here you can have an HP official statement to upgrade these DLL files.

hpzbdi.dll version 1.1.2.51
cioum.dll version 1.1.3.51

HP LaserJet Printer Series - Discrete Driver, Bidirectional Components Channel, hpzbdi.dll or msi related issues
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01682861&dimid=1002759220&dicid=alr_mar09&jumpid=em_alerts/us/mar09/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category/alerts

HP LaserJet, Color LaserJet and LaserJet MFP Products - UPD/Discrete Driver, Bidirectional Components Channel, cioum.dll or msi related issues
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01682835&dimid=1002759220&dicid=alr_Mar09&jumpid=em_alerts/us/Mar09/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category/alerts

Regds
Nitin Kohli
printnk
Valued Contributor

Official release is planned to the Start of July 2009. hopefully by then, if will be available on www.HP.com
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

So it took HP almost one year to officially fix this problem?
Make a great day!

Roger
S_Schmidt

We have recently implemented 2008 terminalservers and 2008 printservers and its a 64-bit enviroment. We only use HP-printers (Laserjet 4000 up to 4350) and we only use HP UPD PCL5 and PS. I have installed both x64 and x86 versions of the drivers.

We choose to create AD-groups for printers with the sharename of the printers in the name. We asign members from userOUs to these groups and then has a loginscript that reads out what printers are to be mapped from that usergroup, and map them. It works a charm as long as there├В┬┤s only 10-15 users on a TS server, but when there├В┬┤s about 40 it can take over an hour to map just pair of printers...

A typical AD-gruop for a printer looks like this:
$P5@1234_HP4250tn
Here $P5@ means "At prinserver 5"
Here 1234_HP4250tn is the sharenamne of the printer that is installed on printserver5. (1234 in the namn is just a unik inventoryID-number that every printer we own has.)

Yes, I have noticed that some userprofiles are above 20MB in size.

On the client side we use computers with XP SP3 (x86) and they are well maintained with upgrades. The TS users use HP thin clients with windows Ce6.0.

My problems are:

1. Mapping printers takes forever on some computers and terminal server clients.

2. When using the mapped printer, the actual printing can take quite som time.

3. Regular chrashes of the printspooler service occurs on the terminal servers.

I too noticed the workaround with MSIexec but choose not to try it since HP told me a new update was coming, and sure enough, it did. I have now implemented HP UPD 4.7.2 on both my printservers and the TS-servers. The good news are that printing does seem to work a little better (although not very good).
The printspooler does not die anymore, in fact, I haven├В┬┤t had to restart it on any of my servers after a week. Nice!

Hp also tells me that since they cleaned up the problem causing tons of registryinformation being created under the users registrykeys, the problem now lies with microsoft.

Unfourtunately It still takes forever to map printers! This is making me mad, I can├В┬┤t understand why it is so slow?
James Peluso
Advisor

Switch to TS Easy Print for Server 2008. It's much easier than dealing with this UPD problem.

"Keep moving forward."
Steve T Martin

Michael, I have tried your suggestion about creating blank MSI files and renaming the existing ones but after stopping the spooler service and attempting to rename the files you mentioned, I keep getting access denied errors. Do I need to stop another service as well? I keep having problems with the HPZBDI32.msi file. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to get that file to allow me to rename or move it elsewhere and replace it with the empty msi.

Thanks,
Steve Martin
JulianBlue

It is very likely that HP UPD problem replicating registry keys to global default registry hive (.DEFAULT) being related to Terminal Server on which the MicrosoftUPHClean Tool is installed (which is common practice)
I would recommend to look at the readme.txt with UPHClean and setup an exclusion for
svchost.exe/rpcss.dll.

"UPHClean assists the operating system to unload user profile hive by
remapping the handles to the user profile hive to the default user hive.
For example if a process has a handle to
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-X-Y-Z\Software\Microsoft after remapping it would have a
handle to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft."
RedEyes

I know this thread is a bit old however I am really struggling with this issue.

We build a new 2008 32 bit print server and set up all the print queues. We moved approximately 3 teams onto the new print server when users started to report MSIEXEC error messages popping up on their screens although we had not noticed any print spooler crashes at this point.

Logging was enabled and it was discovered that msi installer was launching multiple times from cmd.exe and it was hpzbdi32.msi. Looking through the event logs on the printer server showed error messages in the event viewer with intermittent print spooler crashes.

We tried the new version of the UPD but that caused other problems with duplexing not being available and we had to give up. We tried the 0 byte msi file. Although this has resolved the print spooler crashes and there are no error messages in the event viewer the MSIEXEC error messages on the clients still persists.

We managed to obtain the new dll files from HP Support but this did not resolve the problem either. I updated the dll file on the terminal servers and the print servers as per the instructions, not on a client-by-client basis.

This error message not only affects Citrix users but also PC users. The only event viewer information I can find is:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 03/06/2011
Time: 10:32:00
User: N/A
Description:
Application popup: msiexec.exe - Application Error : The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click on OK to terminate the application.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

When I checked this affected PC it still had the original MSI file and the original dll. The PC also does not have any of the HP printers installed at all but it still has this file. I replaced the MSI file on this PC with the zero byte file and replaced the dll also - I thought that if this would solve the problem we could look at deploying to every client on the network. But the error message still persists.

I have enabled msi installer logging on this PC but it is not recording anything to the log files. I am totally at a loss as to what to do, I cannot identify what exactly is causing the issue. These error messages were definitely atrributable to the HPZBDI.MSI originally when we could find event viewer events but I do not now have anything that points to the MSI file causing the problem...

Help!!

I did read earlier in the thread about deleting registry keys in the user profiles. Is this something that I could try?

Thanks in advance.
R-L-B
Occasional Visitor

The problem also manifests on Win7 (same core system).  Same evt log messages.  Same Zero byte it solution that works some of the time but other times just won't.  Sometimes only the BI-Di event log errors show but the spooler is fine.  Other times the spooler crashes and will not be appeased.

We have printer servers running server 2003.  both the server and the win7 workstations have the Universal printer driver installed, same version (mostly). 

Recently this got worse.  More win7 stations stalling the spooler.  Nothing that will fix the stalled spoolsv.exe.  I can't find an OS patch that might have caused this increase, and since it does not manifest on all win7 computers I can't blame an OS patch.

I can find no file version differences between computers that do or don't have the problem.

Is it that the UDP needs to clean up after itself better?

I'm going to pursue the magical updated dlls in http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01682861&dimid=1002759220&dicid=alr_mar09&jumpid=em_alerts/us/mar09/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category/alerts  but it seems there be a better fix included in an updated UDP, however it appears that promise has not come true since the start of this thread.