cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Pavilion 4455 - Windows 98 startup

Nancy Kinsler
Occasional Visitor

HP Pavilion 4455 - Windows 98 startup

Each time I start up my computer, the desktop and other programs load, then I get a full-page message to install MS Works 4.5, and to insert disk 1. I already have 4.5 MS Works on the computer and have never had a disk 1. I have only application and system recovery disks. I sure could use some help in getting rid of that message. Any help will be appreciated.

Nancy B.
3 REPLIES
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

Re: HP Pavilion 4455 - Windows 98 startup

Nancy ;

If you have Win98 SE, go to the start button, then run, then type in "msconfig" and push the enter key.

This tool will let you look at your startup and remove anything that might be causing the problem.

Also look in in your "Startup" folder located under the Windows folder. There might be something in there.

Jim

Michael Dillman
Valued Contributor

Your other option would be to complete installation or Works. On one of the application disks you should see in the smaller typing disk 1 for MS Works.
If at first you don't succeed, you must be installing Windows
Jim Kisco
Trusted Contributor

Nancy ;

You might try this procedure.

When the window appears after startup, cancel the window, then go to the control panel, open the "Add or Remove Programs" icon, select "Works", and uninstall the program. Restart you PC.
Follow up with reinstalling the program using the Applications CD.

This window is appearing probably because you were using a feature in Works that needed additional Works software to enable this feature.

Jim