5440 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP QuickPlay Installation - Problems

Dimitri Toledo

Oh. Great.
I suspected.
Well, I think that`s easier ask to someone who have a fine instalation disk to make a image of the cd and publish in Internet.

I will be very grateful if someone here could do that.

Thanks for the tip.
Volker Schweyer

If done it!

BUT - it doesn't work as the HP user manual tells it.

I had to delete everything on the harddisk, even the bootpartitions. Then I had to creat a new partition with mandrakeinux, because I couldn't write or read on the harddisk anymore. After creating a new bootsector and creating two partitions without any special format (the reserved partition for HP Quickplay needed 258 mb) I was able to format the windows xp partition and install WinXP, after that done I inserted my HP Quickplaydisk and everything was fine. But in my eyes, this can't be the way of getting satisfactioned customers.

Adam Wright_1

What I've heard is when you install XP, you need to leave about 250 MB on the drive with no partition set up for it. Then when you boot the quickplay CD, that the software will creat it's own linux partition with the free space. Can anybody else confirm this? It seems a lot easier than installing linux first.
Geovany

Hello, I made all that is recommended, I left a partition without formatting of 250MB and an only primary partition where winXP is. Reboot and I inserted the disk of QuickPlay, but when it arrives to 2% it shows the following error: "has stopped the installation due to a you ID of incorrect system or I space in insufficient disk. Check their system and attempt it again.". I thank their help, I sit down it, but I don't manage English very well. HPDV1000
Jim H.

I had a disk crash and had to replace my hard drive. After several tries to get Quickplay loaded, I too was able to get it to work. The instruction manual is a bit terse and flat WRONG about the 204MB. (This is for a Pavilion dv1000.

I thought I followed the instructions, but foolishly set up a 204MB partition as D:. Don't do that.

1. Set up your XP partition as C:
2. Leave enough unpartitioned space to accommodate Quickplay. Some here have said that's 250 MB. I know that 300 MB worked for me. I know that 204 MB was too small.

If you have already used the HP Operating CD to set up your hard drive (and formatted your hard drive, and installed XP, and installed the drivers, and really don't want to do that again), you can still ├в fix├в the partitions - as long as you have the space for Quickplay outside the XP partition.

1. Boot from you HP operating system disk.
2. Press ENTER to set up Windows XP
3. Press F8 to accept License Agreement
4. With your XP partition highlighted (it├в s usually C:) press Esc.
5. Make sure you have at least 250MB of unpartitioned space after your XP partition. (If you don├в t, you probably have to delete XP and start all over.) I had to delete the 204 MB partition I created in the first place.
6. Once you have your XP partition and at least 250 MB of unpartitioned space, press F3 to quit. (Don├в t mess with the XP partition!)
7. Press F3 again.
8. Remove your HP operating system disk.
9. If you├в re really fast, you can stick your Quickplay disk in before it reboots. Otherwise, let XP load, put in your Quickplay disk, and restart.
10. Quickplay should load successfully.
11. Note that when this is done, Quickplay will actually only use 204 MB of the space after your XP partition. It just needs more than that to actually run I guess.

Tom Leavitt
Honored Contributor

Volker:
Please assign points to those who attempt to assist you.
PS.***HP FORUMS***
When you return to view answers, please rate them by assigning points on a scale of 1-10.
To assign points, simply login and click the dropdown points menu next to each reply.
Use the following scale when rating responses:
N/A: The reply[s] were a clarification to my original question
1-3: The answer[s] didn't help answer my question, but thanks anyhow!
4-7: The answer[s] helped with a portion of my question, but I still need help.
8-10: The answer[s] has solved my problem completely! I'm a happy camper!

Learn From History
Aris Petrov

Guys,

Can you help me locate the dropdown points menu? I'd like to assign points and I can't because I don't see the points menu.

Andrew Stacey's answer (see last paragraph) convinced me that I should try to solve the Quickplay installation problem using Partition Magic.

This is what I did:
1. I bought Partition Magic 8.0.
2. Installed it on my computer (my Windows XP Pro was installed and was working fine).
3. Checked the partitioning of the hard drive and found approximately 7 MB of unformatted partition after the Windows XP partition.
4. Reduced the Windows XP partition and by so doing increased the size of the unformatted partition to approximately 220 MB.
5. Installed Quickplay following the instructions in the Quickplay booklet.

Everything went smoothly and 220 MB were enough for Quickplay to install properly.

This scenario may work in all cases when Windows XP works fine and you already have a Quickplay partition that only needs to be resized. Please do not forget to backup your system before resizing the partitions with Partition Magic or any other partitioning software for that matter.
Megha
Valued Contributor

Aris, Only the question author, (here, Volker) can assign points to a given response

For more information on the assigning points, please refer to the following link:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Hope this clears.

Thanks,
Megha.
Mark Tyles

I am having the same problem when re-installing Quickplay. I have a dv4000 with the newest version of the CD (395251-B22). I've wiped my drive and installed XP-Pro 6-7 times. Even doing a low-level format as recommended by someone at HP. I've left 204mb, 250mb, 300mb, 350mb, 400mb, and now I'm at 500mb, and still not working. It keeps telling me the system is not compatible or not enough HDD space.

I've tried scratch installs and re-partitioning with PartitionMagic.

I'm completely baffled.
Am I missing something?
Does anyone know if there is way to see what the installer is actually doing during the install?
Dimitri Toledo

People, analysing my QuickPlay Install Disk, I discovered one corrupted file.

The file name is "Setup.tgz" and its located in "\package".

Can anyone send to my e-mail this file please? It has 24.7 MB.
I leave in Brazil and my Notebook model (dv4000 series) its not supported by HP Brazil, so a need this file to make my own brand new installation disk.

The version of my Original QuickPlay install Disk is 372768-B21

Thanks