108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP System Recovery

SOLVED
Go to solution
Christopher Kowalski
Occasional Advisor

HP System Recovery

From time-to-time since I purchased an HP Pavilion 7965 when I start or re-start the machine I am taken directly to the HP System Recovery screen for some reason. I can cancel out of it and Windows XP loads with no problems, no driver errors, etc., so I'm not sure why it's doing this. Has anyone else experienced this, or more importantly, does anyone know how to disable this? It's rather annoying to have to bypass it.
A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine...
7 REPLIES 7
Peter Caffyn
Advisor

Chris, I have also experienced a similar problem on a Pavilion 7955. HP PC System Recovery only comes up when I select "Restart" when shutting down the computer (or if the system restarts while installing software, etc.). It does not come up when I do a fresh boot, after the computer powers down. Either way, I can get out of the HP PC System Recovery application by simply clicking on "Quit." I have not used any sort of utilities to tweak the drive partitions, or any software such as GoBack. I have done 3 non-destructive restorations, as well as 1 destructive restoration on this machine. I have used the MS System Recovery utility to restore the system to it's original configuration (after the destructive restore), and that seems to correct the problem also.

This is what I do to reproduce the problem.

1) Loaded the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy MP3 (non signed) drivers ONLY from their CD

2) Loaded the Audigy XP updated driver from their web page (this is Creative's recommended loading order for their drivers)

3) Loaded Logitech iTouch cordless keyboard software (XP version from their web page)

4) Uninstalled the (HP) "kbd" software using "Add/Remove Programs"

5) Loaded Logitech cordless mouseware (XP version from their web page)

Only after step 5 did the system start to consistently "restart" into the HP PC System Recovery mode. I restored the system using the MS Recovery untility, and everything was fine again. Then I performed the steps above in this order 3, 5, 4, 1, at which point the system displayed the same bug. I restored the system using MS Recovery, and everything is fine again. It seems that I can make a few changes to the original configuration, before the bug reoccurs. Too many changes from the default configuration, and the bug comes back.

Currently there is a HP representative looking into this issue.

If anyone else is experiencing this problem please post a message so that we can get more data to solve this problem.

Pete
Christopher Kowalski
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the update, I thought this question had vanished into the realms of the un-answered. I assume someone from Hewlett Packard will post here with their findings, or maybe E-Mail us?
Christopher Kowalski
Occasional Advisor

In addition, just for whatever it's worth, I did several full-formats on my system (destructive restores) and re-installed all my standard software, having the bug re-appear each time. I originally thought it was ASPI drivers I had installed so that I could rip decent-sounding audio files from CDs with a program called AudioGalaxy, but it turns out that wasn't the problem as I had thought. I assumed at one point it may have been a result of removing some of the pre-installed software, but that too failed to be the case. I have a Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse running XP drivers from the Logitech website, not sure if it matters but you seem to be running a similar setup. Let me know if there is any further information related to my system/software that I might be able to provide.
Peter Caffyn
Advisor

Chris,

It is the Logitech iTouch drivers. Go to their website, and update your drivers to the latest versions for the keyboard and mouse. I believe the latest is 1.83 version driver for the keyboard and the 9.43 version mouse driver. I loaded the new drivers, and everything works fine.

Sorry, I would have responded sooner, however I didn't get an email notification that you had responded to this question. I just happened to notice your reply today while skimming through the forums.

Good luck,

Pete

Christopher Kowalski
Occasional Advisor

Peter,

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. I updated to 1.83 on the iTouch keyboard software, and 9.42.1 on the MouseWare.
Peter Caffyn
Advisor
Solution

Chris,
Where is the mouse receiver connected? USB, Serial, or PS2 port?

The new drivers worked for me, and one other person on these message boards. I'm not sure what is wrong, but maybe it has something to do with the port. The new drivers no longer support connections to the serial port. My mouse is connected via PS2.

Pete
Christopher Kowalski
Occasional Advisor

Odd... it seems to be working now, but didn't on the first few reboots of my system post-update. Thanks again Peter!