108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Vectra VL400 PC - Power Supply fan error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Edsel Delmiguez
Occasional Advisor

HP Vectra VL400 PC - Power Supply fan error

I am upgrading to a new non-HP power supply with a 350 W rating. I have a mini tower. The power supply does not have the P8 power connector which comes out of the original HP power supply and connects to the motherboard. Consequently, upon boot up, it runs into a "Power Supply fan error." How can I disable this feature so that the system board accepts the new power supply? Is there a workaround for this? Thanks.
23 REPLIES 23
Eino V
Honored Contributor

Loook at the tread:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswe
r.do?threadId=980214

and the last message with attached picture.
Somebody have used 100ohm resistors instead the jumper.

Here is another thread about the same problem:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswe
r.do?threadId=986050
Peter_F

Hi there,

I am having the same issue and I have followed the instruction as provided in this thread....must say thanks for the info!!But I do have some questions - how does this circuit work and why by just bridging two pin does it "fool" the bios post and also does this cicuit keep checking for the fan (RPM????) when the PC is running? Also as this is a hack will it cause damage to the board? I am interested as I intented to run this PC 24/7 as a firewall.

Thanks heaps

Peter
Eino V
Honored Contributor
Solution

My opinion is, that it is best to use the same resistance there as the original fan has to fool the computer believe, that the fan is installed.
Rich S
Honored Contributor

It makes sense to place a load on the jumper in order to fool the logic of the system.
My HP didn't require that. I just left the fan sensor disconnected. There is a shut off within the PS, so there shouldn't really be a monitor within the MOB logic. Must be for warranty purposes.

So if you do bypass this logic, I would not worry about it. The new PS will shut down if overheated or overloaded.

If you have the old PS, you might wish to check the load with a VOM and verify the 100 ohm amount. If you do not have the old PS or it is non functional, I would try the links suggestion.

either way, please post your findings and results here.

Rich
Rich S
Honored Contributor

I would NOT do a direct short as the one link suggested. That could harm the circuit. I would measure the old PS load and match it with a resister at the least.

see:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=602321

Rich
Edsel Delmiguez
Occasional Advisor

I measured the resistance across the +12 V and the sensor lines from the PS. I got 10.23 K ohms. I then jumpered the motherboard with a resistor measuring 9.98 K ohms. It didn't boot successfully, so I replaced it with a 100.5 ohm resistor. The motherboard was then successfully fooled. The PC is now running smooth. Thanks.
Rich S
Honored Contributor

That would make sense. If you had a sensitive enough meter and turned the fan while measuring it, you would have had a variable load. 100 ohms is enough of a constant load to full the MOB.

Great work.....and glad to hear all is OK.

Rich

Points?

Points are a way to say thank you to the ones that helped you solve your problem.
Only the question author can assign points to a given response. If you submit a question or new topic and another member replies to it, you will see a dropdown menu of points next to the reply (you must be logged in to see the menu). Select the point value and then click the "submit points" button. Note that you can rate multiple replies and submit them at one time.
Peter_F

Hey there...

I have also used a 100ohm resister to jump the pins for the PS Fan and it has worked without issue!!

(I created a small PCB to make it neater!!)

Thanks for the great advise......

Peter F

Rich S
Honored Contributor

Glad all is working out....

E=IR or more R=E/I.. :)

Rich