108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Vectra VL400 PC - Power Supply fan error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rich S
Honored Contributor

Sorry, should have explained the E=IR...

see :

http://www.aikenamps.com/OhmsLaw.htm

:)

Rich
Eino V
Honored Contributor

Hi Edsel
Fine to read that you have solved the problem. The resistance of the fan varies according to the fan speed. 100 ohm is likely near the resistance of the original fan, when it is running.
Eino
Edsel Delmiguez
Occasional Advisor

I also made a small pinkie-sized PCB for the resistor. It looks neat. Maybe adding a diode in series would not be a problem. Many thanks.
Rich S
Honored Contributor

A diode changes AC to DC or acts as a filter in DC. An LED (which is a diode too) would be nice. I've been meaning to buy some blue ones.

Glad all is working out for you....

Rich
Peter_F

Hi Edsel...

I had the very same thought re the diode.....Must say I'm not an electronics wiz but was advise to maybe us a Zener Diode in series so as to act as overload protection. Was not sure how to get the correct rating.......

Regards

Peter
Rich S
Honored Contributor

No a fuse would act as protection.
The original circuit I am sure is adequate. All that was needed though is a load to fool the motherboard. The original fan has a circuit that would send the signal to shut off if overheated.

There are a lot of great electronic classes out there. Even the basic TTL (transister logic) classes would open your mind up to the fundementals of electrical design.

Rich

Edsel Delmiguez
Occasional Advisor

Hi everyone. Yes, I was referring to those LEDs. I thought it would look nice if the PCB could indicate, through the diode, that the circuit is complete. Thanks again. :o)
TMH SE

Just posting to thank everyone here for their posts on this subject.
One of our 3 Vectra machines died over Christmas, power supply gave out.
Having substituted a PS from another of our 3 Vectra machines to verify that I was reading the beeps correctly when trying to boot the dead PC, and it booted perfectly fine, I then went loking for a new PS for it.
No such luck ! I was unable to find a PS, new or used, that had the fan sensor wire fitted other than from HP at about ├В┬г80 !
I could buy a whole new PC for less than that !

I searched the net for a solution and found myself on this site, read the info' here and followed some of the links to be sure I picked up all I needed to know, bought a replacement PS without the fan sensing wire, followed the advice here and jumped the 2 pins nearest to the power input on the MB with a 100 ohm resistor, I used the old lead cut from the old PS which meant I didnt have to mackle a way to plug the "hack" in, booted first time without any problem and is now running like a dream again.

Even though it is 5 or 6 years since this thread was last added to, the information is still very useful, your help has been invaluable, thank you all very much.

regards
Tim
isend
Occasional Advisor

Hi @Eino V , 

I have the same problem on my VL400, but the ITRC links you provided are obsolete. Do you still remember the wirings in the picture from those links? I guess I am supposed to put a resistor between the center pin and a side pin (which one?) of the 3-pin fan connector, and then connect two pins (which two?) of the fan connector to the two pins of the PSU power connector (Which two? The furthest two from the 4 pins of the 20+4 pin PSU power connector?).

Is my guess close to the correct answer? Thank you.

Eino V
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I don't remember it anymore and I have not either VL400 anymore. It has gone too long time since I gave that advice.