1748179 Members
3881 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP Wireless Mgr Error

Michael_593
Frequent Advisor

HP Wireless Mgr Error

My Friend Has a Compaq Presario 2100 with Windows XP Home Edition. When I start the Laptop it takes forever at the Welcome screen then shows his Desktop. But no icons or taskbar are shown. You can't right click the Desktop either. \-Don't Really Know What Good That Would Do-/, The error message appears after about a minute or so. If I Click Don't Send On The Error Message It Closes And Nothing Happens. From There I Can Press CTRL+ALT+DEL And Get The Task Manager. I Tried Running New Task Explorer.exe But Nothing Happens. Cant Really Get Anywhere Going That Route, But if I Run In Safe Mode And Try It, A Window Pops Up Saying Something About you Are In Safe Mode. While that Window Is Up I Can Run It Again And I'll Get The Windows Explorer From There I Found The File It Was Running And Moved It To The Recycle Bin, restarted And nothing happened, I Can't Get To The Recycle Bin Through Task Manager In Normal Mode, So I Restarted In Safe Mode And Got Windows Explorer Up From There I Can Get To The Recycle Bin I Restored It And Here I Am Don't Really Know How To Fix This. If I Click "Click Here" On The Error Message That Pops Up I Can Click "Click Here" On The Second Option At The Bottom And That Will Also Pull Up Windows Explorer. I Can't Do Searches For Files And I Can't See Files And Folders On The Explorer Side This Makes Things Very Difficult For Fixing This Problem. I Have A Utility That Shows Programs That Start At Startup There Were Several That Had To Do With HP So I Temporarily Removed Them But Nothing Happened Different. I Also Noticed That The Location Of The File "HP Wireless Mgr" Was In Location With Laptop Utilities Don't Really Know If That Means Anything. He Also Told Me That His Brother Installed AOL And It Went Crazy So His Brother Started Deleting It From Windows Explorer Instead Of Removing From Add And Remove. \- I Told Him To Burn Every AOL CD That He Gets In The Mail, That He Sees At Blockbusters Counters, And Any Other Place They Are.-/ Not A Big Fan Of AOL. So I Had To Deal With Reinstalling A Program I Hate And Uninstalling It Right. I Thought Maybe Aol Installed The HP Wireless Mgr But I Found Some Forums That People Has Had The Same Problem But I Never Seen The Solution.
Anyway I've Tried Some More Things But Can't Really Remember. Very Frustrated

Can Some One Help!
16 REPLIES 16
Jeff Brown_15
Frequent Advisor

It sounds that possibly a program in startup is stopping explorer.exe from loading properly. Can you see explorer.exe in Task manager?

Can you run regedit.exe from Task Manager?
Look at the RUN key in regedit and see what is starting up.

What service pack do you have? Do you have it downloaded on to the harddrive? Try running it to fix any missing system files.
George Zhou
Occasional Advisor

I am having the exact same problem on my hp notebook, can anyone provide a solution besides using recover CDs?
Pat
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Right Click on Start
Click on Properties
Click on Taskbar
Verify Auto Hide the Taskbar is not checked
Verify Keep the TaskBar on top of other windows is checked
Click OK

Make sure the Taskbar is not shrunk down.
Move the cursor to each of the four edges on the screen. If the cursor turns into a double-sided arrow, click and hold the mouse button and then drag the cursor to resize the Taksbar.

Taskbar Is Missing When You Log On to Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318027

Your Desktop Icons Are Missing in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330170

No Icons Installed in Start Menu

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpi04056

Pat
George Zhou
Occasional Advisor

The problem is that I can not see "Start" or any icons on the monitor but only WALLPAPER.
Pat
Honored Contributor

George, if you go into Safe Mode, can you see icons? If so,

Start the computer in Safe Mode, and then restart in Normal mode.

NOTE: Starting Windows in Safe mode loads a minimal set of basic system drivers and uses the standard VGA video display. The Windows desktop will temporarily look different.

Click Start, and then click Shut Down or Turn Off Computer.

In the Shut Down dialog box, click Restart the computer, and then click Yes.

Eventually, the screen goes black and a startup screen appears. Press the F8 key repeatedly, about once every second, until a menu screen appears.

Select Safe Mode and press ENTER.

The Windows desktop appears with reduced colors and with the words Safe Mode displayed in the corners. Wait one minute before continuing.

Click Start, and then click Shut Down or Turn Off Computer.

Select Restart the computer, and click Yes. The computer will restart in Normal Mode, and the Start button and taskbar appear in their normal positions on the Windows desktop.

What version of IE are you using?

Only Desktop Wallpaper Appears When You Start Your Computer

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;174486

Pat
George Zhou
Occasional Advisor

Pat:
"George, if you go into Safe Mode, can you see icons? If so,"

No, yesterday, I tried to start from safe mode, but I failed. The monitor remained dark for more than 10 mins before I shut it down.

I also unchecked "HP wireless module" in service pack through Task Manager, but it did not work.

My notebook model is HP ze Pavilion 5300, please give me other methods to fix this problem. The wireless function is not useful to me actually.

Is there other ways to fix this except using recover CDs?

Thanks Pat.
Pat
Honored Contributor

You can try

1) 1 - Boot to your desktop

2 - Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to open Task Manager

3 - In Task manager click the New Task button on the General tab

4 - In the New Task dialogue box type: 'explorer.exe' (without the quotes) and press OK

5 - The Windows desktop should now appear

2) Perform a System Restore to a date prior to the disappearance of start, task manager and desktop icons.

3) Do you have other user accounts? Is it possible to view them using other user accounts? Can you possibly create a new user account through Control Panel?

4) Perform a Repair

Reboot and at the Windows Logo, tap F10
Click Advanced to get to the repair
option

If unable to get to the Windows Logo and tap F10, you'll have to perform a repair using the Recovery CDs.

1) Insert the Windows XP cd into your CD-ROM and Reboot your machine (You will need to make sure that your CD-ROM is set to be the first boot option in your PCs BIOS)

2) At the Welcome To Set Up screen press Enter to start the Windows set Up

3) Next accept the License Agreement

4) Set Up will now search your PC for any copies of Windows

5) When set up finds the copy of Windows XP already installed on your PC, select it from the list and then press 'R' to start the Repair process

Pat

George Zhou
Occasional Advisor

Pat,
Thanks for so many new hints, I will try them tonight and let you know the outcome.

George
George Zhou
Occasional Advisor

Hi, Pat,

I failed to fix the problem and need to use recover CDs.

How can I avoid destroying previous installed softwares and saved documents in the process?

Thnaks,

George