Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
Operating System - Microsoft
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Errors caused by possible virus on laptop running XP

Scott Jensen_3
Occasional Contributor

Help! Errors caused by possible virus on laptop running XP

I have recently upgraded from my Armada 1750 to a Presario 1500 series running Windows XP and am facing a crisis.

While online, I noticed unusual hard drive activity and my system locked up. I shut down and when trying to reboot, there was an error message: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file."

I have left my laptop on and have no idea what to do to avoid any additional data loss. I hope to be able to recover my files, but fear that this was a virus and they are lost. Any advise is much appreciated... thank you!

Scott
scott.m.jensen@verizon.net
2 REPLIES
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: Help! Errors caused by possible virus on laptop running XP

May not be a virus. Try using the recovery console (from the install CD's) to get to the boot drive.

Two causes for the error:
1. boot.ini has been damaged, or has been changed to point to an incorrect disk.

2. The ntoskrnl.exe file is damaged, and needs to be replaced by a good copy from your install CD.

It's possible that you received an automatic windows update patch, that didn't install well. :-(

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: Help! Errors caused by possible virus on laptop running XP

Scott:

Go here and do a virus scan:

http://security2.norton.com/ssc/home.asp

Good luck!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger