1751885 Members
5725 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help installing MS Vista on HP DV5000

DANSSS

Help installing MS Vista on HP DV5000

Hi,
I have a copy of Windows Vista Beta 2 (32bit) that I am trying to install onto a HP DV5000 notebook.

The install has worked on a number of other machines that I am testing on including 2 Toshiba's and 1x Dell each having a similar or lower spec that my own Pavilion DV5000

I have tried booting from the DVD and installing it that way. It begin OK, but then simply turns the machine off after it has finished copying the fiels which is the first step in the setup.

Try from windows, and get the files copied to a new partition so that I can run my production XP Pro on C: and vista on D:. The setup reboots to continue the install and then again gets a blue screen on death again after it has copyied the files. I have tried a number of different things all with a failure.

Something is causing the machine to swtich off and not continue to install. From all accounts the software says that my machine will work with vista. the partition has 20g free space allocated to it.

I have disabled bluetooth and WiFi as well. no avail.

Any suggestions would be good. I am not considering installing it to the C: drive as an upgrade.

thanks.
14 REPLIES 14
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

The ususal questions:

If your BIOS up to date?

Do you have the required amount of video RAM to run the install?

Try the Vista beta newsgroups. If you joined the beta program, you have access to the Vista newsgroups, and the MS product team to ask/report these problems to.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Boot into your production XP setup and view the boot.ini file (and share that here). I'd bet that you've found a genuine bug in that the pathing to the Vista install is incorrect somehow.
DANSSS

I have attached a file called Boot.bak. Only thing I could find after a thorough search for all files called *.ini. NO Boot.ini file anywhere.

More info on my PC is:
C:\Master primary of 20g. 3g free
D:\Vista primary of 20g.

3 other partitions which are extended partitions.

Win XP pro is SP2 with all updates.

Installf rom windows allows me to select D:\ to do the Vista install to. Copied all files and reboots to continue. It setups the dual boot screen with Vista as the default. After this is selected it crashes before it even tries to continue the setup. Either get a blue screen or a system switch off.

Try installing by booting the DVD. Again some files are copied and a vista load screen appears briefly before the system turns off again.

Alan_152
Honored Contributor

boot.ini is a hidden, read-only, system file, usually found in the root of c:\ of the primary operating system
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

What you've sent is the backup of boot.ini, and it doesn't reflect any of the changes that Vista should have created.
DANSSS

Hi, thanks for your continued support and feedback.

Yes I did look for hidden files and folders and did a full system search for any .ini file. I looked carefully at all .ini files. It must be somewhere!!!

I can't locate it anywhere. I not about to give up on this just yet. I know their is a way to get it working on my notebook.

thanks.
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

To locate this file using Search, you must turn both "search system folders" and "search hidden files and folders" on.

Or, if you are using Explorer, set the 1st 6 options under "Files and Folders" to on, turn off #7, #9, and #10, and select "Show hidden files and folders" under #8
DANSSS

It's been a while and I'm back. I am still trying to install the latest release cadidate on Windows Vista 32bit on my HP DV5000. This time round I have formatted the disk, removed the partitions and am booting the Vista DVD and attempting to set the OS up that way.

Again the install begins, gets to the Vista logo screen and switches the machine off. I have disabled SATA controllers in the BIOS and again swtiched off WIFI and Bluetooth. It's basically a fresh disk with nothing on it, no partitions etc and still no joy.

The things now is that I know that the install will work on a HP DV5000 as I have heard from notebook forums of other users not having any issues with installing it on a HP DV series notebook which is basically the same spec as mine.

Getting frustrated with this as I cannot think of any reason why the install would not be working.

Any other suggestions. It seems to be hardware related, something specific with my notebook config, even though I have reset it.

Off to restore my XP image now!!!
The_XoX_1

I got the same Problem..

I delete all the partitions in the Disk ANd create only One Ntfs (111GB) but :

The Xp SP2 Install dont see the hard disk but i boot wit Hiren's CD (Tech CD - Partition Programs and Utilities) and the Partition Magig see the 111GB SATA Disk..

I include the Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver in the XP SP2 CD Install But nothing....

I Try Install Vista But Tur Off the pc...or restart all the times..

after creating.. formating and reformating..
delete partitions..etc...

- The Solution : In the Bios (Enter F10 in Boot)in System Configuration > SATA Native Support...Disable It ..

Works and Install Great...