4728 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help installing MS Vista on HP DV5000

Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

BTW, here's an excerpt from Vista Help & Support:

"In this version of Windows, the boot.ini file has been replaced with Boot Configuration Data (BCD). This file is more versatile than boot.ini, and it can apply to computer platforms that use means other than basic input/output system (BIOS) to start the computer.

If you need to make changes to BCD, such as removing entries from the list of displayed operating systems, use the command line tool Bcdedit, an advanced tool intended for administrators and IT professionals. For technical information about Bcdedit, go to the Microsoft website for IT professionals."

That site is:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/default.aspx?query=boot.ini

The only hit I got there was the following, which is pretty informative:

http://tinyurl.com/yjfhlf

Open a Command Prompt as Administrator to run BCDEDIT.

Merry Christmas to all!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Another excerpt from Vista Help:

"If your computer is a multiboot configuration, you can still change which Windows operating system opens by default, and how long to display the list of operating systems, by using System in Control Panel.

Click to open System.

In the left pane, click Advanced System Settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

Under System Startup, choose a default operating system and the amount of time to display the list of operating systems, and then click OK."

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Remy106

Hello,

Disabling SATA Native support in the BiOS enables me to install Windows XP, however, my laptop (HP Pavilion dv5000) doesnt allow me to install Windows Vista. It crashes with the following error message:

STOP: C000021a {Fatal System Errpr}
The initial session process or system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000000 (0xc0000001 0x0010034c).
The system has been shut down.

DANSSS

I finally managed to get my install of Vista RC1 working correctly.

After updating to a recent BIOS update for the DV5000, I was able to get Vista installed.

I also managed to get the drivers for the media card reader (in vista this might be known as a mass media storage device) and get some codecs for media player to play DVD's in Vista. The latest GFX card drivers will help as well. Basically get yourself all the latest drivers for your machine and try again.

In runs really well and am happy with the outcome.
Remy106

Upgrading the BiOS fixed everything. I was able to install Windows Vista without any problems what so ever :)

Thanks for your help.