Operating System - Microsoft
1753779 Members
7473 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How Can I Put a Password In My PC before boot up?

Jess_7

How Can I Put a Password In My PC before boot up?

Well My Mother Has an HP and She needs to Put a Password on the computer (due to a problem child) She needs the Password to pop up before the computer Boots the desktop...I dont know if this is possible with an HP or not But I know It works with my GateWay So pls if ne one can halp me I would Appreciate it!
Thank You
PooP
5 REPLIES 5
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Re: How Can I Put a Password In My PC before boot up?

Hi Jess,
this is a wrong forum. Here can't help windows based PC.

... however ...

to set a password on PC before boot you have activate bios shell. Usually you enter in bios press CANC of F2 or F10 (depending by PC) during memory test. Select security option in bios and set password.
Usually you can set two level of password: low level to boot PC and high level to change bios parameters.

HTH
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
John Bolene
Honored Contributor

You can also add a password to the Windows desktop.

There is normally a hardware password in the BIOS and a software one in Windows itself.
It is always a good day when you are launching rockets! http://tripolioklahoma.org, Mostly Missiles http://mostlymissiles.com
Zafar A. Mohammed_1
Trusted Contributor

After setting the Hardware BIOS password, if she forgets any time, it will be very easy to reset the password, just pull-out the Password Jumpers from the mother-board and put it back. This will reset the password and this applies to every mother-board regarding of Gateway, HP or Dell or any other.

Thanks
Zafar
Naveej.K.A
Honored Contributor

You have to change/set the password after going to the BIOS. Some desktop PCs user the F2 key, Del key to go inside the bios. set the password after going to the desired menu....

some BIOS have the security option specific for system and setup... these option will be available in bios features setup of advanced bios features... but is all specific for the BIOS or the mainboard you are having.
IF you keep the security option to system...then the BIOS asks for password every time it boots up of you press key to go into the bios at the boot time, while if you keep the option to setup, it doesn't ask for the password every time it boots up, but only when u go inside the bios
regards
Naveej
practice makes a man perfect!!!
Malleron Mathieu
Frequent Advisor

not a good idea to use bios password against a child ,
in past my dad did the same and ....
too easy to remove it .