Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Microsoft
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I find out what kind of files they are without opening them?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marc_23
Occasional Contributor

How can I find out what kind of files they are without opening them?

I have removed klez virus with fixklez tool. but there are still files on my pc I think they are also part of the klez virus (because they're relatively new(1week)) they are in my program files folder: three applications (each 8KB): Guk1262, Qlc4182, Uif9255.
I coudn't find them on google.
Is there a trick to find out more about such mystirious files?
3 REPLIES
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: How can I find out what kind of files they are without opening them?

Just delete them. If you didn't install a new program last week then they are from your virus and your cleaner program missed them.

If you are afraid they just might be something useful move them to a new folder somewhere for a week or too and if no one complains then delete them.

If you really must look inside you can download a hex editor (like http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/17555.html) or just look at them with WordPad.

Ron
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor
Solution

Marc,

Guk1262, Qlc4182, Uif9255 all fit the naming convention pattern the virus follows.

I agree with Ron.....Delete them.
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Paul R. Dittrich
Esteemed Contributor

Marc, aside from virus issues, the general answer to your question is:

Right-click on the file and select Properties.

Whatever information the OS has about that specific file will be displayed and *some* of it is editable.

HTH,
Paul