Operating System - Microsoft
1753680 Members
5786 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How can I set the global default Internet Explorer cache and Cookie settings on a multi-user compute

John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How can I set the global default Internet Explorer cache and Cookie settings on a multi-user compute

Was my request out of line? Can anybody give me some examples of how this could be done with a logon script or through the registry (registry preferred).
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

I found a program called Cache Sentry which might help you with the first part. Haven't tried it myself but it sounds good.

http://www.mindspring.com/~dpoch/enigmatic/cachesentry.html

Seems like it has a control for cache size and if it ran for all users it would keep it small.

Ron
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

John,

I'm not sure if you are still interested in this topic.

This reply, while not a solution, might help.

I have been working with gpedit.msc recently, and I came across this (screen capture). If there were a per-machine setting for IE cache (rather than per-user), here is where it would be:

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/scrn-cap/group-policy-admin-templates-ie.jpg

Hard to say if it was deliberately left out, or just an oversight. Perhaps a future upgrade will include this control.

:-) Jay

check Facebook
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

Jay,

Rest assured that I am still interested in this topic. The only problem is that it seemed to be one that nobody else seemed to be interested in and my time in the forums has been greatly limited in the recent months ;-(

I have not had a chance to review the particular area that your screen shot points to, but I have to admit that I am intrigued by the possibilities. I will do what I can in the future to give it a ???test drive??? as time permits.

Thanks for the pointer???

I have, however, had a chance to look into the CacheSentry that Ron mentioned and I have been somewhat pleased by the initial results that I have seen from it. As time progresses, I feel rather confident that one of these suggestions (or a combination of both) will be fruitful

Please don???t think I have given up on this thread. I have not intentionally left any thread to die due to lack of attention (if anyone thinks differently of any of my threads, please let me know which one).

I welcome all of the input and will let everyone know what the final outcome is when I think this has reached a final conclusion.

Thanks for the input so far. Hope for more good ideas from anyone who feels like contributing!
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

I think Ron's CS suggestion has a good chance of solving this particular problem.

I would look carefully at SMS, if you are running domains. SMS 2003 is due for RTM Q3.

Here is some SMS info. Note the "software metering" bullet point:

http://www.microsoft.com/smserver/evaluation/features/default.asp

SMS is, of course, more than you are asking for in this thread. But it could be a unified approach to several network needs, rather than a patchwork solution.

:-) Jay

check Facebook
Sonja Simons

This is not answere my ?, because I'm having

problems with my internet service & it tells

me to contact the maker of my computer. I'm

having problems staying connected and going

outside of the web site like aol or msn. I

can read my email from aol or msn but not

staying connected.

PLEASE HELP ME Sonja Simons symenssez@msn.com
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Sonya,

Please start your own thread and I will be glad to help you. To save time I will tell you that you will need to download HijackThis from

http://www.tomcoyote.com/hjt/HijackThis.exe

Open it and press the Scan button then the Save Log button. Save the log where you can find it again then when you create your own thread by pressing Start New Thread, just attach the log by pressing the Browse button before you press the Submit button.

If you have trouble downloading it, get a friend to download it and save it to a floppy. It will run on your PC from a floppy and if you save the log on the floppy you can then post from your friend's computer and attach the log file.

Ron