Operating System - Microsoft
1752754 Members
4562 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to use net use to print legel and landscape?

K-girl
Occasional Contributor

How to use net use to print legel and landscape?

Does anyone knows how to use the NET USE command to print in legal size and landscape?
I use NET USE LPT1: \\\ to map the printer to LPT1 successfully but I cannot find any information about how to make it print to legal size and landscape style.
Or is there any other command to print DOS apps in landscape, legal? Thanks to all that reply. All helps appreciated.
Thanks,
K-girl.
10 REPLIES 10
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Hi:

The one thing that comes to mind is using the PCL language to control the printer; probably embedding the appropriate PCL codes in a text file and sending it to the printer in advance of the print file or possibly at the top of the print file.

HTH

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Similar to Rogar's suggestion, is to place the appropiate printer code in text files, and send them to the printer when needed.

i.e.
landscap > prn
legal > prn
normal > prn

In each file would be the escape codes entered into a text file by holding down the ALT key and pressing the number keys on the number pad for each number code series.
example: ALT+27 = Esc

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
K-girl
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for Roger & Jon's replies. Besides using the PCL language, it there any way to do the following to a Windows printer driver?

CAPTURE L=1 Q=PLANT_HP4 NB NFF NT TI=20 S=OTS J=LEGAL_LANDSCAPE

I use this in a Novell print driver and works OK before. Now we converted all print driver to Windows, and I want to know if there's any way to use NET USE to function the same way as the command above. Or if there any other command I can use, please let me know. Thank you for all helps.

K-girl
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

K:

Unless I'm missing something here, what you need to do is an Add Printer function, tell it you WILL be printing from DOS, and SHARE the printer as something like PRT_PORTRAIT. Then repeat the process except share the printer as PRT_LANDSCAPE. Then go into the PRT_LANDSCAPE printer and change settings to Landscape. Then from DOS, do a NET PRINT \\computername\sharename. (a little oversimplified, but not much)

When you try to print this way what problems, errors, messages, do you get?

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
K-girl
Occasional Contributor

Roger,

I followed your instructions and set up the share printer for landscape, everything printed from Windows base programs came out landscape in legal. However, printouts from any Dos base application still came out protrait in letter even I printed something directly to the printer in DOS command by >prn. The way I have it printed is NET USE lpt1 to the landscape printer first.

I'm not sure how to use NET PRINT. Can you give more info about how to use NET PRINT?

Thanks for all your help.

K-girl
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Just open a Command Prompt and type NET PRINT /? and it'll show you the syntax (NET /? will give you all the NET options). You'll need to use one of the other suggestions to create a PCL command file and send that to the printer first. Do you have a PCL language manual? If not, try this web page: http://www.nefec.org/UPM/ccPCLfrm.htm

So to summarize, you create a file(s) consisting of PCL commands, then you do a NET USE LPT1 etc. command to create the connection, then you issue a PRINT /D:LPT1 'filename' command specifying the PCL command file. You can "print" more than one PCL command file depending on how you create them. Then, finally, issue a print command for the data file.

I hope I haven't left anything out.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Please ignore what I said about the NET PRINT command. The command should be NET USE LPTn: \\servername\sharename

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

In Windows 9x you can "capture" the printer port for DOS usage.

In NT/2000/XP you have to use
NET USE LPT? /PERSISTENT:YES (replace the ? with 1, 2, 3, etc.).

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Hi Jon: I'm going on VAC from 7/29-8/11. Cover for me, will ya. I know you will. Thanks!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger