108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: I can't remove the cover from my Deskpro

Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Penny:

If it has a smart cover lock, do you know how to disengage it? See:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00035551

Roger

FYI:

"If unable to access Computer Setup to unlock the cover, the locking solenoid will need to be removed by using the Smart Cover FailSafe Key (spare part number 166527-001 or 166527-002). Once the solenoid has been deactivated or removed, the access panel can be removed.

The Smart Cover FailSafe Key will be needed in any of the following circumstances:

Power outage
Startup failure
Processor or power supply failure
Lost password"

The failsafe key part numbers may be different for your system.
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Penny:

I may be getting in over my head now. If you're problem is still not solved, post a message here:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=271

The people there are much more hardware knowledgeable about your system. I'm more of a hardware/software generalist.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Penny:

BTW, HP describes your S/N system as follows:

DPEND P400/6.4/64/W5C

Deskpro EN 40BX-AGP - Indy

HTH

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Penny Williams
Occasional Advisor

Roger;

Thanks for all your help. I checked the status of the cover lock in the BIOS and it says it is not engaged. So, I guess I'm just not trying hard enough with removing the cover now that I have the instructions. I'll just have to try a little more muscle.

Thanks again,

Penny
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Penny:

There may be some screws that need to be removed on the rear of the case. It's also possible that a defect in the locking mechanism is causing it to be locked mechanically although unlocked electrically. I assume you don't have the special tool, is that right?

Sorry I'm not being much help!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Kim Torkelson
Respected Contributor

Penny:
The Deskpro's I've worked on (lots) all had thumb screws in the back. Some were green on certain models, and on those there was ONE, the others were silver in color, and on those there were two. They need to be removed to remove the cover.
HTH
~kim
Michael Dillman
Valued Contributor

I have several P350's with the same configuration. There aren't any thumbscrews, but the covers will occasional jam in the track. See if one side seems to move but not the other.
If at first you don't succeed, you must be installing Windows
Ralph_24

Hi, i hope u have been enable to install your new hard drive, i have a old computer DPEND P450+/6.4/64/W5n this what compaq tell about the model. I'm trying to restore the factory settings but i have lost the restore CD do you know where can i download it or any advice please. Thanks a lot