Operating System - Microsoft
1753797 Members
7289 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

I deleted Ntldr file from my laptop

Moons light

I deleted Ntldr file from my laptop

I have mistakenly deleted the ntldr file from my laptop by mistake and now it wont restart or start! When ever i turn it on it says ntldr file missing. I tried to boot from a CD so it restarted the laptop but I dont know wat to do after i am in DOS BIOS system.

I have product recovery CDs and it says it will install the OS in laptop but i will lose data on hard disk. my friends are telling me that i wont lose any data and i should go ahead with it. But i am not sure as it is quiet valuable data with old work assignments and new projects. Please help!
Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I deleted Ntldr file from my laptop

Tim_302
Advisor

The thread Gary points to is a good place to start.

make sure you don't have a floopy in the drive.

If your data is very important you can put the drive in a different system as a second drive and back it up before trying to run any programs that will write to it.

It probably isn't neccesary but if the data is not already backed up it might be worth doing.
Richard J. Anthony
Frequent Advisor

This will probably seem stupid and overly simplistic. The only time I have had this problem and had not left a floppy in the drive, I just went to another machine (same opsys), located NTLDR on it, copied it to a floppy, and copied it into the problem machine at the same location. Everything worked fine. Then I went hunting to find & fix the reason for its deletion.
Dum vivimus vivamus
Jorge Pinto Leite
Respected Contributor

Richard is right. You can copy NTLDR from another PC with same operating system. If your system is a W2k or a XP you must log in Recovery Console to be able to copy the file from a floppy.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

You can access to your system, before to repair it following the already posted suggestions by creating a Bootable floppy (Fault Tollerant).
Just go to another W2K computer, and full format a floppy disk. then copy the following three files on it: ntdetect.com, ntldr ,boot.ini.
If the computer you get the files from have a different partitioning, you may have to adjust the boot.ini file in order to boot from the right partition.
Then, just boot form the floppy to gain full access to your system

marino