Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Microsoft
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard Drivers Disappear

David_486
Occasional Visitor

Keyboard Drivers Disappear

Hello,

I need some help! I received my Media Center Edition PC on 10/10/03 and have had to reinstall the drivers for my wireless, "One-Touch Multimedia Keyboard" five (5) times.

The problem surronds the "Internet Shortcut" keys (Shopping...Connect...e-mail) at the top of the keyboard.

I have attempted the following fixes (obviously, none of which has "held" for more than one to three days):

1. I used "HP APPLICATION RECOVERY" to reinstall the drivers for the internet shorcut keys three (3) times.

2. I have gone to the "Device Manager," clicked on the Keyboard "+" sign and uninstalled the two items that came up...rebooted. As the shorcut keys then worked, I created a "System Resore Point."

3. When the shorcut key drivers disappeared again, I used System Restore to bring them back. Certainly, I do not want to be in the position of using System Restore each time the shortcut drivers "run away."

Other than the shortcut key problems the keyboard works as it should. I realize that one can certainly live without the shorcut keys, but I feel that "if they're there...they should work!"

Thanks for any ideas,

David
5 REPLIES
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: Keyboard Drivers Disappear

David:

What model of Media Center PC do you have?

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
David_486
Occasional Visitor

Roger,

My Model # is m200y (custom order)and until my "free upgrade" reaches me I'm running the "2002 Edition" of Media Center...and thank you for responding!

David
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

David:

So far all I've found is the BIOS upgrade from here: http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareList.jhtml;jsessionid=TGPGBBZMJRGZTQEXGRMENZQ?reg=&cc=us&prodId=hppavilion347398&lc=en&softitem=Microsoft%20Windows%20XP&sw_lang=en&pagetype=software

Let me know if you install it and what the results are.

Thanks!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
David_486
Occasional Visitor

Roger,

I'm currently in the process (per the third different tech support recommendation) of unchecking, one at a time, non-critical startup programs (RUN...MSCONFIG...Startup tab on the System Configuration Utility window) in the hope that I will disable a program which is conflicting with my shotcut keys' keyboard drivers.

If this fix does not work, I will give the BIOS update a try - although I must admit that I have never done that before and therefore (since I don't fully understand what it is meant to do) am a bit nervous about doing so.

Thank you again for your help,

David
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor