1748052 Members
4816 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

LT6000r Processor Upgrade

Max Adeli
Occasional Advisor

LT6000r Processor Upgrade

I know this is supposed to be Microsoft forum. However, I was asked by HP to place any questions I may have regarding NetServers in this section. So here it goes.

We have purchased a few brand new LT6000r (part # D9145A). We would like to do processor upgrade on these server and due to the circumstances, we have access to some PIII Xeon 700 2mig/1mg CPUs. For the record these are NOT from HP processor upgrade (I believe they are Compaq?s). Since there is two type of Xeon 700 available (12V and 5/12V). I need to know which one would work with our servers. I also need to know what is the replacement part number to the VRMs for these servers.

Thanks in advance,
Max.
4 REPLIES 4
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Re: LT6000r Processor Upgrade

Hello Max,

Thanks for posting your Netserver question. The forum administrator contacted me and until we get a Netserver forum setup, feel free to post your Netserver questions here.

The easiest question first. The replacement part number for the LT6000r VRMs is D8228-63008.

If you have hardware support from HP on your LT6000r, you might want to double check with your local Customer Engineer about putting non-HP cpu's in the system. I'm sure it will work, but they might ask you to remove them, etc if they need to do a support call on the server. It might not be a big deal but I don't want you to get in a jam down the road and find out you are not in a supported configuration.

You also need to check the stepping on the cpu's and they must match exactly or they won't be recognized. You can check the stepping levels from the front panel of the server after you add the cpu's.

I am trying to get you an exact answer on the voltage question but I've had to escalate that to the Netserver division. That information *might* be on the label of the cpu but I don't have access to an LT6000 I can take apart at the moment to check that for you. I will post another reply as I get more information.

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Max Adeli
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Jamie for your quick reply. Also I appreciate the info on the VRM replacement part number.

As for the stepping number on the CPUs, I will insure that they are all the same prior to installation.

As for CPU voltage, that is a very important one and I know HP engineers at the NetServer division should be able to have an answer for that. Therefore, would appreciate if you can inform me when you hear from them.

One other thing on the VRM, is the replacement part number for the LT6000 that comes with 550 Xeon or is it for the ones that come with 700 Xeon. In other word, do they take the same VRM regardless of the speed of the CPU?

Regards,
Max.
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Yes, you are right. It is the same VRM for any HP cpu for the LT6000. I have just heard back from the division and they will not divulge the information on the cpu to me for various reasons. However, you can place a call to the customer support center and ask them to escalate it to the division if they don't know the answer. The front end won't know because I've already tried them. But I can't escalate to the division through the customer support center and had to take a different route, which didn't work. I'm sure if you call the CSC and ask for escalation (after you give them a chance to find the answer), they will escalate it to the Netserver folks for you.

If they won't give you the information, it is because it is not offered to the public. Since HP doesn't support using 3rd party cpu's in the Netservers, they may not provide that level of information. It's worth a shot though so give the CSC a call and then please let me know what you find out.

970-635-1000 - push option 3 for a product you have already purchased and then follow the prompts to Netservers - LT.

Sorry I couldn't get the details for you.

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Max:

I thought I'd give you a link to Intel's datasheet web page for the Xeon III 700:

http://developer.intel.com/design/pentiumiii/xeon/datashts/24871102.pdf

Hope this helps.
Make a great day!

Roger