5396 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Login needs old server running

Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor

Login needs old server running

Hello,
We installed a new Windows 2008 server, but if the old 2000 server shuts down, no one can log into the network. I was told it is a 'Radius" issue by our support company but they can not solve this problem. The whole idea of a new server is that things will work without the old one. Any help would be greatly approeciated. Thanks. Ken
Work Smarter Not Harder
4 REPLIES 4
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: Login needs old server running

Hi Ken:

Are they both Domain Controllers on the same domain?

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor

Our old one is a Windows 2000 SBS server, and the new one is Windows 2008 Standard.
I'm not sure if the old one is still acting as a Domain Controller. I don't know enough about servers to tell.
Work Smarter Not Harder
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

If it's SBS it must be a DC and that's the crux of your problem. You would be better off to have made the new server a SBS 2008 server. See here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sbs/default.aspx

It may be possible to make your new server a "member server" in the SBS 2000 domain but I'm not sure if it can be a DC in that domain or not. If it can be a DC in that domain, that might be your best solution. Alternatively, you can make it a DC in an entirely new domain and re-configure each computer to be in that new domain. If you opt to go in that direction, I would build a new 'test' PC to connect to that new domain and ensure everything will work the way you need before transitioning all your production PCs to the new domain.

Either direction you take will be pretty complex. Since your "support company" was unable to figure this out, I would suggest a different vendor might be a good approach, preferably one familiar with SBS.

Are you anywhere near SW Florida? ;-)

Makea great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Ken wanderer
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the insight into the issue.
I'm trying to learn as much as I can and this helps a lot.
I'm in Wisconsin, but support users from all over. I wish the support company would have explaned this in more detail.
I would have done a lot of things differently after finding out the problems 64bit, virtual software etc..
Thanks again!
Live and learn.
Work Smarter Not Harder