6445 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lost BIOS Setup Password

Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Andrew:

Compaq computers usually (shortly after turning them on) position a flashing block cursor in the upper right corner of the display. The moment you see that, press the F10 keyboard key several times. That should get you into the BIOS Setup program (although I fear it will want the password first). Try removing the AC power input and all three batteries and leave it overnight to see if that will clear the password.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Vinay kumar_1

Hi, Andrew. Here is the necessary steps to be taken by you to clear the BIOS setup password.

You could go through the following website which contains the essentila steps to be done to clear the BIOS setup password.

http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/bios_password.htm

Thanks
Vinay Kumar
Andrew Lindsay
Advisor

Well, I left the batteries out for about an hour. I closed the case and booted on AC, without putting the main battery back into the slot. F10 did nothing.
- I formatted C: Still nothing with F10.
- I ran the diagnostics (sp25498) and tried to create a new diagnostics partition. It said a partition already existed (this is good).
- I ran the setup (sp7117). It said the contents of the diagnostics partition was current, but I re-installed anyway.
- I tried F10. BIOS setup still wouldn't appear.
- I ran the ROMPaq. It said the contents were current, but I re-installed anyway.
- I put in the main battery.

So apparently I've gotten rid of the password, but now I'm just as stuck, because F10 does nothing now.

Ideas?
rcote2
Respected Contributor

Andrew, saw this on another forum as a suggestion for your F10 problem - no idea if it will work.

"Just boot holding down the delete key and be patient. Once in setup, choose defaults."

RAY
Andrew Lindsay
Advisor

Nope. The DEL key idea didn't work. It was worth a try though.

I think I'll try loading the OS and then see what happens.
rcote2
Respected Contributor

OK, one more thought - in days gone by you used "F1" and somtimes "Alt-S" to enter BIOS.

You must be tired by now of all the suggestions, but I just thought of this.

RAY
Tom Leavitt
Honored Contributor

Andrew:
Try this for information on your BIOS and other system components:
http://esupport.com/home.cfm
Click on the 'Bios Agent' button & follow through.

You can then delete the little 'Agent' utility, etc. by:
Start>
Find>
Files or Folders...
Named: biosag
Containing text: ----
Look in: [c]
When the results appear, delete.
Tom

Learn From History