Operating System - Microsoft
1753865 Members
7459 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Lost KRNL386.EXE. file need to get it back

Lost KRNL386.EXE. file need to get it back

Downloaded a program, tried to start it computer locked up shut down started came back on safemode rebooted it said missing DRNL386.EXE. I'm afraid the program was dos backed when shut it down it dumped my startup file in dos. I have already ran all kinds of scanchecks and all the easy things to do but they haven't worked. I've also searched for it in mycomputer. I know what the problem is I need to know how to remedy it. Any informative answers or solutions appreciated Dick E.
1 REPLY 1

Re: Lost KRNL386.EXE. file need to get it back

Richard, need some details:
- What filesystem are you running(NTFS, FAT) on the boot partition?
- What Service Pack are you running? (SP5, SP6a)
- Do you have the i386 directory on the boot partition?
- Do you have the original install CD?
- How much free space on the boot partition?

You will need to gain access to the boot partition to replace the file.

1. If you have a FAT partition and the original install CD, boot from the install CD. At the first prompt to hit [F3] to exit, hit [F3] to exit to the command prompt. Change to the boot partition (C:). CD to the \winnt\system32 directory. Change to the CDROM Drive (D: or E:). Change to the i386 directory. Replace the missing file with "expand KRNL386.EX_ c:KRNL386.EXE".
***It is VERY important to type the command exactly as written to place the file correctly.***
This command will place the file KRNL386.EXE in the directory C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32. You are done. Remove the CD and reboot.

2. If you DON'T have the original install CD, but DO have the 3 install diskettes AND you have the i386 directory on the boot partition AND you are using the FAT filesystem on the boot partition - you can follow a similar procedure:
Boot from the install diskettes in order (1, 2, 3 as prompted). At the first prompt to hit [F3] to exit, hit [F3] to exit to the command prompt. Change to the i386 directory. Create the missing file with "expand KRNL386.EX_ c:KRNL386.EXE". Move it into place with the command "move KRNL386.EXE C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32"
***It is VERY important to type the command exactly as written to place the file correctly.***
This command will place the file KRNL386.EXE in the directory C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32. You are done. Remove the diskette and reboot.

3. If you are running the NTFS filesystem, you may need to re-install NT onto ANOTHER directory on the same logical drive to gain access to the filesystem. If you start the installation from CD or from diskette and accept all defaults till you get to "Install onto existing partition" - choose YES. Then select the directory to install into -
"C:\WINNT_TMP". Then continue accepting all defaults. Once you reboot, and gain access to the filesystem, you can copy the C:\WINNT_TMP\SYSTEM32\KRNL386.EXE to C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\KRNL386.EXE. Reboot to test the install and choose the SECOND OPTION for "Windows NT" during boot. You should boot to your original system files and profiles. If this works, edit the C:\BOOT.INI and remove the first line after [operating systems] and then highlight and copy all text from the next line up to the first "=". Paste this text over the existing text after "default=". This will make your original setup the normal boot option and remove the temporary NT install from boot options. Reboot to test this change and if successfull, then remember to remove the temporary NT install files/folder at C:\WINNT_TMP.

If none of these work, you are not completely screwed, but you will need someone with more experience in Windows NT recovery. An EXPERIENCED (3 years min.) MCSE should have no problem. Don't let someone with less experience touch your system!!!

Good luck...