Operating System - Microsoft
1752290 Members
4411 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lost wireless connection with XP pro upgrade

mike young_2

Lost wireless connection with XP pro upgrade

I just upgraded my HP Pavillion a250n to XP pro and while everything else seems to have gone fine, I have lost my wireless connectivity in the process. A wireless connection is not detected (even though one is present and is picked up by other computers) and when I go to my wireless network connection, everything is "grayed out" so I can't configure anything and no network is available. I've taken out the wireless card and reinstalled it but this did not help. Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Mike:

This A250N datasheet implies that it is sold without a wireless capability:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bph08414.pdf

Is it possible that you (or someone else)added wireless after the system was purchased? In that event, can you tell us the manufacturer's name and model of the wireless gardware.

Thanks.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
mike young_2

Thanks for your quick reply. I did purchase a wireless PCI adapter. It is made by microsoft with a product number of MN-730.....802.11g.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Mike:

There is a lot of information in this article so I thought I'd post it here, just in case you can find a tidbit in there:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;831770

You could also try downloading MSBNDownload.exe from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_DLoadMain.mspx

If the existing software has an uninstall capability, uninstall it before re-installing or before running MSBNDownload.exe

HTH

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Mike:

Please make sure you are logging in as an Administrator and are you aware of this statement from the MN-730 User Guide:

"Note: If you don├в t want to use the Setup Wizard to set up your adapter, and you have
Windows XP, it is possible to set up your adapter by using the Add Hardware Wizard and
the Wireless Network Connection utility in Windows. However, using the Setup Wizard is
recommended because the Setup Wizard installs the network utility software and
configures your wireless network settings."?

Ro
Make a great day!

Roger
mike young_2

Thanks Roger. I've finally got it working again. I completely uninstalled the device and driver, installed the new driver you sent the link to, rebooted, and now it works. thanks for all your help!
Peter Quale

Thanks for this thread, Mike. I had the exact same problem- upgrade to XP Pro and all wireless settings grayed out. Just like you, I opened Device Manager, chose to uninstall the device, rebooted, the driver was reinstalled as the machine came up and it worked fine.

Thanks again.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Mike:

I'm glad you and Peter are up and running. Since you're new to the forums, I'd like to introduce you to the points system which is one of the things that makes these forums successful. Please click on 'How to earn points' in the blue sidebar near the top left of this page.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger