108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Memory leak

Mo123
Occasional Visitor

Memory leak

Spoiler

hi all,

we have 7  HPE Proliant MicroServer Gen10 Models servers on our network and they are all have windows 2019 and used as Hyper V machine to contain our Read Only Domain Controller virtual machine. we have 5 servers for more than one years. only 2 are new.  

they all have about 34 GB memory and there isn't any installed program but the AntiVirus (Sophos).

the problem started about 2 months ago. 

when the Memory is 100% the server stop working i can't connect to it remotely but still can Ping it . the Virtual machine works but very slow. then we make a hard restart by pushing the button. 

the problem is after restart, start everything very normal at the first day (memory 60%) then the memory usage start to increase daily and after one week it is again 100% and the server again not reachable

the Funny thing that i look daily to the programs and the services on the Task manager and i cant recognise any change. everything  normal and on its normal level of using the memory. 

we have tried to uninstall the antivirus. no luck. 

we think it is a hardware problem because we have about 30 server between Virtual and physical and we get a this problem only on the Hp MicroServer. 

anyone have any idea?

thnx in advanced 

3 REPLIES 3
pragav
Valued Contributor

Re: Memory leak

Hello,

Ideally hardware wont cause issues related with high memory utilization.

As per the symptoms you have mentioned the memory usage increases gradually , It seems some process is taking up the memory on the server and which is not relasing it after its job is done. 

I would check the memory configuration for the VM in hyper-V settings , If dynamic memory is selected and check how much amount of memory is allocated for each VM.  Along with it check the size of your page file and make sure its not too small.

If the above settings seems fine and you have already uninstalled antivirus but still see the same symptom , you could setup perfmon logging ( inbuilt in OS )  to identify which process is taking up all the memory.

You could use counters suggested in below article to find the culprit 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ask-the-performance-team/an-overview-of-troubleshooting-memory-issues/ba-p/372673

If you still need further help , I would suggest log a SW case with HPE support team for deep dive troubleshooting.

Regards,

pragav
Valued Contributor

Hello,

Let me know if you have any further questions on this thread.

Regards,

Mo123
Occasional Visitor

first i want to thank you for your answer.

i have checked the memory configuration for the VM in hyper-V. they all not dynamic. 

regarding to the article that you suggest. many counters are not really on the normal level. i have tried to increase the virual memory but this didn't help and i cann't set the virtual memory to 1,5 larger than the physical RAM. 

we would open a case by HPE support team and let them identify the Problem.  

many thnaks