New Discussion юеВ

Re: Modems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pat
Honored Contributor

Thanks again, John and thank you Ron.

I was aware of using manage to get to the device manager.

I found that if I right click on My Computer and Click on properties to bring myself to the device manager located under the Hardware tab, if I click on the Agere modem I'll see two computers in the upper bar. I can then click on the right computer to disableenable the modem.

I've still been unable to locate a driver for the Alcatel V90 Platinum internal modem. And even tho' I pay for DSL I'm only able to utilize the dialup.

Originally, I purchased my first computer package through SBC and apparently all the install drivers were wrapped up in the Window ME OS I had. When I went to the hp Pavilion XP Home OS, I was told I could switch out the modems but I was not told I wouldn't be able to locate a driver after originally being told I'd be able to connect with the new unit right into my DSL by both salesperson of pc unit and SBC persons. Very unusual of SBC to say such.

Next problem; I'm informed I'll have to get an install CD for the Alcatel V90 internal modem. And, so far, any driver pkgs I've downloaded from speedtouch.com or driverguide.com have not been operable.

System recognizes hardware but cannot locate the software. And, if I'm able to locate the software, how am I to add it to the phonebook.ini?

I'm a general pc home user with a comfortable knowledge of the unit (a tad above novice). I don't deal with the bios, infrastructure or build platforms until supported by a tech capable of walking me through the process. When I read the Forum Menu I wondered why I'd been referred to this site in the first place since that (menu) alone leads one to believe you will be a computer tech capable of designing/operating computer software.

With all the modem and other problems that have recently occurred, I haven't yet had time to explore the world of XP.

Any advice, guys? I'm all ears, lol. And, again, thanks to both of you.

Pat
Honored Contributor

Never mind! Ma Bell a/k/a SBC is sending me another modem with installation cd.

Thanks again!

Pat
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Hi Pat,
I hope you get the problem solved, if you run into any more we will here it.

Regards,
Ronald
The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Pat
Honored Contributor

Resolved.