Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - Microsoft
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NTFS permissions

Edgar Zapata
Esteemed Contributor

NTFS permissions

Hello,

Does anybody know if there's a way of determining which subfolders under a given folder has inherited permissions from parent?

I may be doing this in a weird way.
I couldn't think of any other way though.

What I'm doing is:
I first use a dir /x and dump the folder names into a file.
Then I use a FOR loop to go through each folder and trim the output to see if the permissions for a given user/group have been inherited.

Like this:

E:\Campanas\P-R\RENAULT>for /f %a in (dirlist.txt) do cacls %a | findstr /i cc20

E:\Campanas\P-R\RENAULT>cacls 0087E~1.PLA | findstr /i cc20
ES\CC20143K:(OI)(CI)C

E:\Campanas\P-R\RENAULT>cacls AUDITO~1 | findstr /i cc20
ES\CC20143K:(OI)(CI)C

E:\Campanas\P-R\RENAULT>cacls GRABAC~1 | findstr /i cc20

E:\Campanas\P-R\RENAULT>cacls OTS | findstr /i cc20

E:\Campanas\P-R\RENAULT>cacls RECSA | findstr /i cc20

This way I figure out which folders have not inherited permissions from parent and therefore, I'll need to add these manually.

What I actually need to know is if the setting below has been set up at a given folder
"Allow inheritable permissions from the parent to propagate to this object..."
without having to use any GUI (like windows Explorer)

Many thanks.

Edgar.