New Discussion юеВ

Re: Need help with an ancient PC Vectra QS/20

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

Michael, look with attention the link
"IntelliStation Troubleshooting" into link of the my previous post.
HTH
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
Michael_569
Advisor

What do points do? I gave everyone a 10.

Do you guys work for HP?
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

Michael, we don't work to HP.
I am into this Forum for to help all the people like You and Me.
Hope to Help.
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
Michael_569
Advisor

Well thank you Bruno very much.

By the way, I realize its a problem with the board, I just want to determine what it is by a test of some sort.

I need to know if this computer will handle running programs or it will lock up.

I just wish there was a way to know definatively whether this 386 will work or if I should search for a new 386.

Regardless though, I forgot to mention in my previous post, thanks alot for your help.

Im going to look at the crystal on the board, try to replace it with one from a good 486 board and see where that leads me.

I think im too spoiled with windows, i dont remember any dos applications any more. :)
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

This is manual for support Vectra
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/bpv02560/bpv02560.pdf

I believe that system 386 is very old; but system 486 Also.

If upgrade is possible without money the you can try else it is not convenience.

Good afternoon.
Bruno
Torino (Turin) +2H
Ganesh Babu
Honored Contributor

Hi ,
Even if u bring the 386 to work, it is difficult to maintain, i would suggest to go for a brand new ones with latest configuration..

Ganesh
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Michael,
sorry I was busy.
Using MSD you could post IRQ list; however IRQ9 must be set to IRQ2.
Then look about memory (you should see 4Mb).
What program you have to run on this machine?

@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Michael_569
Advisor

IRQs are all fine, and indeed IRQ 9 is set for IRQ 2 as you mentioned.

I believe I have found the problem this error is causing me. And if indeed this is all, then I would be fine I gather.

The problem is the clock does not function when the computer is turned off.
This means I can set the clock for 02:00 am and run the computer and the time works.

But when I turn off the computer the time stops. It does not reset as a dead battery would. Instead time stops and at the moment the computer turns off.

I can turn the computer off at 02:30am and then turn it back on in an 30 minutes, 2 hours, a day, and when I type in time in DOS it tells me 02:30:15 am. Time didnt roll while power was off.

Could this be the result of "Timer 2 failed to register"

If battery was dead every time I turned off the computer all my bios settings would be wiped, as would time and date. As right now time just halts but is not erased when power off.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Yes,
may be this; battey backup can't keep bios informations so you read error at booting time.
Wanrnig you could lost other info, such as HD type. I hint change Battery Backup or else write all BIOS data on paper when you'll need of it (obviusolsy until you will use this old PC).
Good Luck
@Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Brian Sergeant

Michael,

I just inherited a repair job on an antique QS/20 that needs a setup disk -- courtesy of a professor who was bargain hunting. I see from the posts that you have a copy ---it is hard to find. If you have a moment could you email me the setup program? I think it is just one file -- setup.exe or setup.com.

Sorry for the intrusion.

Thanks,

-- Brian