108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Netscape mail does not open

SOLVED
Go to solution
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Netscape mail does not open

The last two days, when I open up my mail, it shows there are messages, but it will not load those. Yesterday it did open after several restarts. I have run ad-aware, spybot search&destroy and the Norton anti virus scan (definitions are daily updated). A window comes up stating to wait until the folder has loaded. Sometimes I can view the junk mail, trash and sent folder. Please find attached the latest hjt log. I have no clue what to look for.
c'est la guerre
7 REPLIES 7
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Joe,

I don't see anything wrong in HijackThis. You might check your Zone Alarms log to see if it has decided to start blocking your mail or just turn Zone Alarm off for a test to see if you can then get your messages.

Ron
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

Hi Joe,

What version of Netscape? On older versions, you need to compact/compress your folders now and then. As I recall, 'compact folders' is an option in the pull down File menu.

Please let us know.

:-) Jay
check Facebook
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Hi Ron, I did try it without the zone alarm activated and it made no difference. I did contact my mail server, but they do not support netscape over 4.7. I was able to load the inbox e mail messages after several tries. (same as yesterday). the last few days, the pc seems to work a lot in the background (a lot of clicking going on)for a period of time even when I am not using it. I noticed when I open my home page in IE6, it sometimes says at the bottom something like "proxy settings detected"

Jay, I use Netscape 7.1 , but I found that often, if I want to download a program from the net like hjt, I have to use IE6 because all Netscape does is load a gif image of the exe file.
c'est la guerre
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor

I have been using Mozilla Firefox v1.0, and I have not found any problems with it. Here is a link to download:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

check Facebook
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Jay, does that require a change of all the mail settings? like e mail address etc.
c'est la guerre
Jay Bollyn
Honored Contributor
Solution

Firefox is just an Internet browser. If you are looking for an email client, you might try Thunderbird:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Thunderbird will probably import your existing messages and email folders, but I am not sure.

I have not tried Thunderbird, because we run MS Exchange 2003 at work, which requires MS Outlook as the email client.

check Facebook
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Thanks, in that case I probably want to stick with the 2 browsers I have.
c'est la guerre