Simpler Navigation coming for Servers and Operating Systems
Coming soon: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We will combine many of the older boards, and you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. If you are looking for an older board and do not find it, check the consolidated boards, as the posts are still there.
Operating System - Microsoft
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Load Balancing

Marta
Advisor

Network Load Balancing

Hello every body!
I need your help urgently! I am trying to configure NLB in two servers that play the role of Smtp Servers. They forward the messages from the internal Exchange Server to Internet. I am having a lot of problems because the machines are connected to a switch, and this is what occurs: only one Nlb node can relay messages to Internet (the one with the less number from 1 to 32)and the other one can only go out when the first node is down. I have configured both nodes to work 50%/50%, and Nlb shares the messages between both nodes, but only one can go out to Internet. I have also noticed that the switch sees different Mac Adresses for both nodes, besides from each node, when you run Ipconfig /all, you can see the same. These masc adresses aren??t the physical adresses of the network cards without Nlb.
Can you help me????
I don??t have more ideas. I have tried to put a hub between the two Nlb Servers and the switch but it goes the same.
Thank you very much.
Regards,

Marta
3 REPLIES
Robert Demmer_1
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Network Load Balancing

hi,
what type of switch do you have? You should not only enable load balancing function on the NICs but also 2 ports of the switch. Could be named like load-balancing, port-trunking, FastEtherChannel (FEC) or similar.

hth

robert
Marta
Advisor

Hi Robert,
Could you explain it to me, please?
I dont know the exact model of the switch, I think it is a Cisco Catalist 5500 (is this possible?). I would try to get the model exactly. Do I have to configure something in the switch? Can you explain it to me more slowly, please?
Thank you very much for your help.

Marta
Robert Demmer_1
Esteemed Contributor

marta,

be careful if you are not sure what to do in the switch config, better ask your switch-admin. But if you are interested in configuring "etherchannel" on Cisco 5000serie you should go to
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/rel_6_3/config/channel.htm

there you can find the info needed (i hope so)

hth

robert