1753941 Members
9316 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Partition Magic/again

Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Partition Magic/again

I finally bought the Partion Magic 8 that is now distributed by Norton (Please refer to my post April 2 2004.) I followed the instructions to the letter, but I still get an error message. [Error 27: cannot lock drive. Entire process 100%]**[Error 27 while executing batch.] I tried to take a screen shot of that page, but as soon I hit any key it will reboot. In order to return to windows I have to hit the esc key several times. I must be doing something wrong, but can not figure out what it is. I even did restore to the day before the installation and re installed the program.
c'est la guerre
18 REPLIES 18
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Create a Partition Magic boot disk and boot your computer off it then start partition magic from there.

lock c: will lock C: drive but I dought you can do it from within windows, so just boot off the parition magic disk.

Hope this help
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

Hi Latif,
I tried to make a boot disk, but a window came up stating it could not make a bootdisk for NTFS file system and to refer to the help files. I could not find the required instructions. This is supposed to be the same partition Magic 8 formerly put out by Power Quest.
c'est la guerre
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Some useful links:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/docid/2004050712232662?Open&src=sg&docid=2004052752574962&nsf=powerquest.nsf&view=6c360f88152ecfce88256e91005066ac&dtype=тИП=Norton%20PartitionMagic&ver=8.x&osv=&osv_lvl

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/6c360f88152ecfce88256e91005066ac/8ff9028bb6e8371f88256e75007cba1f?OpenDocumentтИП=Norton%20PartitionMagic&ver=8.x&src=sg&pcode=npmagic&svy=&csm=no

http://search.symantec.com/custom/us/techsupp/kb/query.html?csm=no&lk=1&rf=0&nh=7&la=en&tpre=us&tdir=&src=sgтИП=Norton+PartitionMagic&pcode=npmagic&ver=8.x&miniver=npmagic_8&qt=cannot+lock+drive&boolean=and&qp=url%3Aus-cs%2Curl%3A%2Fpowerquest.nsf%2F6c360f88152ecfce88256e91005066ac&search.x=34&search.y=14

Run an online update for the Partition Magic too!

Hope this help
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

What is exactly the NTFS error message you are getting when creating the boot disk?
You may put the error message in the following link and make a search:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/npmagic/npmagic_8_tasks.html

Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

that it can not make a boot disk for NTFS files and to check the help files for that. I looked at the URL's you have given and the number 27 says it is because some files are in use. As far I know, I had them all closed done including the virus scanner and zone alarm (after disconnecting from the internet). How can I find out which files might still be running. Does ad-aware and spybot searc&destroy work in the background? I thought I had it set to come on only when I activate it. thanks again. Encl. three pics in the order I followed the instructions
c'est la guerre
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Did you try to run it in Safe Mode?
Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and click on the Task list to see if any application is still running?

Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

As soon I hit any key it start to reboot(including ctrl-alt-del). The only way to get back to windows is to hit the esc key as soon the PM8 screen comes up
c'est la guerre
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Is the file system of your OS is NTFS.
Right Click My Computer>Manage>Under Srorage click on Disk Management>look under File System? is your drive NTFS?
If not, then convert to NTFS.

Also, run Anti-Virus Scan with an updated definition file.

Joe van Raamt
Super Advisor

yes it is NTFS and I run the virus scan daily and have auto updates. I run the ad-aware and spybot search7destroy on a weekly basis (every friday
c'est la guerre