Operating System - Microsoft
1752577 Members
3886 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Password on network shared folders

Michael_274

Password on network shared folders

I know in Windows 98 you could set a password for write access to a shared folder, how do you do this in Windows XP??? The only option I see is to allow everyone to write to my folder or have no write access, but I would like to set a password for write access, how do I do this??? Thanks for any help you can give me.
2 REPLIES 2
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: Password on network shared folders

If your system is part of an NT/2000 domain, you can add the "authenticated Users" group, or add the individual users from the domain to your share that you want to give write access to.

If you are only in a workgroup peer-to-peer setup, you will have to:
1. Add each user locally on the XP system
2. Create a local group.
3. Add the users to the new local group.
4. Give the group write permissions to the share.

If it's a small number of users, then create the users, and add them to the share.

The fun part, is that if you have to add the users locally, and the other systems are 95, 98 or ME, the users have to log on to their systems using the same ID and password to be able to access your share with write permissions.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: Password on network shared folders

Another thought...

If all of the systems are either NT, 2000 or XP, then you can create a single user and password that will be assigned 'write' access to the share. Privledged users will be given the ID and password (closer to 98, but not as secure as individual ID's).

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda