Operating System - Microsoft
1752588 Members
4176 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Pavilion notebook N5425 keyboard problem with GH, Backspace not working

PillowBandit

I recently encountered this same problem. I found out how to fix this. First press every button one at a time from left to right all the way down your keppad starting at the top with esc. Once you complete this.. restart your computer 7 times... not 6... not 8... but 7... then close and open your screen 18.3 times. After this..control your cursor and make the pointer do 32 small circles. Once this is complete. Shut down your computer and restart it in safe mode. Then enter 1 slice of bologna into the cdrom drive. cross your fingers. Hold your breath... and the promlem is gone... hope this helps fella... -ry
Mike Cross_2

I have an HP Pavillion zd1000 series laptop with the same G,H backspace problems. I removed the keyboard looking for the loose mother board connection as stated by Mirko, but mine has nothing to tighten. I did notice, however, two metal contact points that touch the back of the keyboard that seemed pretty oxidized. (This may explain why putting pressure on the lower part of the computer helps.) So I don't know whether simply unplugging and reconnecting the keyboard, or cleaning the contacts was the answer but I'm back in business!
(We'll see for how long)
Lubos Motl

Detailed pictures to replace the connector and fix g,h,backspace problems are here:

http://schwinger.harvard.edu/~motl/hp-keyboard/
Superstring theory is the language in which God wrote the world.
Cherise Pais

Ive been having the same problem w/ my hp pavilion N5450 laptop. G,H, Backspace, Apostrophe, F4 not working at times. Tried solution from harvard website:
http://schwinger.harvard.edu/~motl/hp-keyboard/index-classical.html
This got it working for about 1.5 weeks, then it stopped, and sometimes now even most of the top row doesnt work. HUGE PAIN! Will probably just buy a new laptop. Does anybody know if newer hp laptops have fixed this problem or should I avoid hps altogether?
Rara_1

I just spent two hours cleaning my keyboard. The G, H, backspace,PLUS the windows key, down arrow key and the '/" key did not work. I took EVERYTHING apart (pain in the booty!) and soaked it in hot water. I cleaned the plastic contact membrane w/alcohol and I JUST finished reassembling it NOW. I was actually looking for a pic of a HP keyboard to find where two of the last keys go. Remember to snap a quick pic of the keyboard before you disassemble. It is tedious, but it works and can be done.
roc383

Does anyone know if this procedure works for the Pavilion ZE5200 series? I cant tell from the pictures if the connector is the same as mine. Anyway, I went through the procedure and it hasnt seemed to help any. My problem extends beyond the G,H,Backspace, too. It can be any key at any time that does work. Im about to order a new keyboard but dont know if that is the right move or not. Any thoughts?
LisaWhatchamacallit

Everyday I wake up wondering which key will not work that day. I have had this HP notebook 4 months. It stopped working altogether and had to be sent to HP for service last month. HP replaced the motherboard. Ever since there is always at least one key that does not work.
harpistic

i received a hp pavilion n5340 back in june or july, after the laptop i was using at the time was stolen, and ever since, the *whole* top row (excluding t and y) regularly stops working (eg, five times yesterday, three times yesterday, and the two and a half days i brought it into work).

till now, the only fix i've managed to find is to thump the keyboard hard - but i'm getting nervous as i've already managed to break the hard disk once.

the original owner of this laptop (Win ME sticker, runs XP, major virtual memory shortage and IE allergy) swears blind that he's never had any problems, but i'm relieved that this is a general problem - hopefully the solutions mentioned on here might mean the current hard disk gets to live a little longer.
Inderjeet Singh Phull
Frequent Advisor

Hi Harpistic,

Welcome to the Forums!
You could also ask this one over in the notebook PCs - pavilions Category:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=411

The experts there will have some suggestions for you,
Hope this helps,

Regards,
Inderjeet Singh Phull
vsingh

I tout I was te only one avin tis problem. I ope some one from p reds is and finds out te pain teir laptops are