Operating System - Microsoft
1753288 Members
5724 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Pavilion notebook N5425 keyboard problem with GH, Backspace not working

Aziz Abdelali

Re: Pavilion notebook N5425 keyboard problem with GH, Backspace not working

Same problem with HP 5445. And it is not fun when you admin password has a G or H in it. Not fun at all.
Mirko_8
Advisor

I know...same happened to me.
Still no solution found to make the keyboard working.
I would be pleased by an answer from HP technician...

Mirko
Chris_789

I have taken the keyboard off,not difficult,(remove the 2 screws on the screen hinge, unsnap the front plate above the keyboard and remove the 4 screws holding in the keyboard), disconnected it from the board, and just used a can of air to clean the connection...this usually takes care of the exact same problem for me for about 4 months. if i dont do it, i start to loose more keys and eventually loose the entire top row....but they all start with g,h,' and bkspce. let me know if this has helped
Mirko_8
Advisor

I've disassembled the notebook from keyboard to motherboard, I've claned the keyboard contacts with a contact degreaser, I've followed the instruction from HP technician..but still the keyboard is not working....

Mirko
Mike_902

Ok, folks, here is the solution: Open up the keyboard using the directions already posted somewhere (remove back screws, then remove button cover plate, remove screws holding keyboard in place). Pull the keyboard out and reseat the keyboard connector at the interface (this is the thin rectangular flexible connector the keyboard is attached to). You MUST remove and reseat the connector firmly for this to work. It's easy to remove, it has a couple of pressure tabs to squeeze on when removing, if my memory serves me correctly. Put it all back together and bingo, problem solved. BUT this is the third time I've had to open up the computer to fix a problem, therefore will never buy another HP laptop again. Sorry to all those folks who had to pay or struggle with retail stores, etc. Pass it on!!!
Mirko_8
Advisor

Mike your idea was useful to find a more complete solution!Yes the problem is in the cable plug, but not in the cable inside the plug, but in the plug itself. Infact termal deformation seems to be occurred during years of use. The proof is that, in my notebook( but I think it's general) with the computer turned on and the keyboard plugged but opened, pushing on the back-left side of the plug to the front direction (viewing the notebook from front), cause the keyboard to work! Stop pushing cause the keyboard to fail...just like an interruptor. So I've put a plastic tube between the plug and PCMCIA metal case to keep pushing the plug, and now the notebook works!So at the end a SOLUTION SEEMS TO BE FOUND!!!
See attached photo.

Just one more thing, last but not least: Thermal stress and parameter of the plastic used in making the plug is surely known to the HP keyboard provider, and HP should test it. I don't know if it was known to HP or not, but this problem ,that affected many people's notebook, is not a "quality sign", for sure!!
I'll never buy another HP product.
Mirko_8
Advisor

I have to correct my previous message. The problem is not in the keyboard plug, but in the plug on the motherboard. Infact by tightening with pliers the plug present on the motherboard the problem is resolved. But this solution won't last, because temperature will stress the plastic material again.

Mirko
marco farina

The same problem occurred to me...Started slowly, presenting seldom and in 6 months become really impossible to use the laptop without an external keyboard.I changed the hard disk (secondary to an hard disk problem) so manipulating the keyboard (That is mounted on it) and I had to reinstall the system. Problem fixed (I Thought secondary to the reinstallation...) maybe moving something on the keyboard cables. After 6 months the problem started again. I tried to upgrade bios (no results). I made the Ediag tool advanced test discovering that the keys not working are (Italian Keyboard): G, H, ├Г , Backspace, ESC, Windows key, two Function keys I don't remeber).
- Is there a "common route" in so far keys cables?
- Is it possible tinking to a temperature problem...if it was "spontaneously" fixed for six months...? (normally I use the notebook for many hours a day, and I don't find a possible relation since the problem never happened after reinstalling the system...)
I Think a solution from HP service is really needed!
Mirko_8
Advisor

Ciao Marco.
It IS A TEMPERATURE PROBLEM.

Open your notebook and tight the keyboard plug on the motherboard with pliers.

in italian:
io ho 2 notebook hp che hanno avuto il medesimo problema, e l'ho risolto cos├Г┬м: apri il notebook, stacca il cavo della tastiera e usa una pinza (piccola) per stringere un p├Г┬▓ la presa femmina sulla scheda madre. col calore si ├Г┬и allargata e alcuni contatti non funzionano pi├Г┬╣. Occhio a non romperla! Non che sia facile romperla...ma te lo dico per sicurezza.
ciao
Jason_448

I do not know what could be causing the problem with your g and h keys, but I just watched my friend solve the problem on his computer.
First he started bitching about how the g,h and backspace keys would not work, then he proceeded to slam his fists into the keyboard. He then picked up the computer threw it on the ground and began ranting and raving about what a piece of junk hp computers are. (This I had to agree with, Im a diehard compac fan).
Anyways moving on, my friend picked up the computer smacked it on the table a few times,
might I add with it open and the power on.
I finally got Barthalumue to calm down and guess what? The piece of junk worked and yes the keys worked and everything is spectacular.
I hope that this story helps you in someway
Later