Operating System - Microsoft
1748198 Members
2593 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Pavilion notebook will not boot at all!

Michael Burton_1

Pavilion notebook will not boot at all!

My Pavilion zt1180 started hanging at XP logon and now will not boot even into BIOS state. There is no display and F keys have no effect - systems just runs idle. There were two error messages on the downward spiral: 1) MS self-reporting and blaming Synaptics touch-pad (but Synaptics site states that such MS messages are themelves erronoeus!), and 2) HP message about need to recalibrate the battery over 5 hours! MS say BIOS is easily damaged by battery malfunction. Question: how can I reset my BIOS in this case please? Like some other HP products, and postings on this site, is there a repeated power up process that will itself restore the BIOS settings? Your help is much appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Michael:

Try this manual for help:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/content/common/manuals/lpi05729/lpi05729.pdf

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Michael Burton_1

Thanks Roger. However, I have studied this guide before (having checked every conceivable resource at HP and MS before burdening anyone else with this), and I have scrutinized it again now but it does not have a Start Up Problem that matches mine (the guide only cites two non-boot cases, one being from battery only but mine won't boot from AC let alone battery, and the other from floppy, and of course one needs to get into the BIOS to change the boot device)!
I notice that an identical boot problem was reported to the ITRC forum on Dec26,2002 04:40 GMT (Subject: M300 Boot Problem) but it appears that no one responded to that.

Thanks again and hope to hear from you as I have seen your other work in similar areas to this.

Michael
Max_54

I am having the identical problem with my ZT1180. I have no solution but am wondering if you have in fact come across one.
I know that if I move the laptop around, the chances of it booting up increase, indicating to m a hardware problem. Either motherboard or hard drive. I haven't been able to bring it in to anyone yet, thought I'd see if I could find out what the problem is myself here rather than pay someone else to do it
Ramana_4

Hi,

I also have a similar problem with my ZT1180. I charged it throughout the night and morning when I tried to start the system it went into Window XP login screen and then hanging out. I restarted the system and at this time it is not even showing the bios screen. I removed the battery and tried to start with the A/C power supply. Now also it is not showing BIOS. Is this problem common for all ZT1180's ?? Does anyone has a solution ? I have gone to www.hp.com/go/bizsupport and downloaded the latest BIOS to install. But, unfortunately it is a .exe file and I need to install it after logging into the system. I am in kind of deadlock now. Can anybody please help me on this problem ??
mike haley

Hello - not sure if this will help - but i have a similiar problem with my ZE1230 laptop - just turns on and doesnt do anything - no display - except sort of a white glow. At first i thought the computer was fried, but i hooked up the VGA out on the back to a regular computer monitor (CRT) and after rebooting - and toggling the Function and F5 key (may be different for yours) i was happy to see that windows XP displayed on the crt monitor. So i could burn all my docs etc off the laptop. I think its the screen or something ive just learned about called an LCD inverter - supposedly a common problem with HP lcds? Anyhow im looking into screen/inverter replacement - Mike
Ben_143

You are not alone. I purchased a Pavilion zt1180 with the same problems you are having with yours. I have seen countless cases reporting the same problem. I have replaced the inverter. I am going to try to replace the processor next. If that does not work then I will give up on this laptop and on HP all together.
James_415

I have the identical problem, if you know of any info please inform me as it would be very appreciated!
Edward Calimag

I'm having the same problems with my ZT1180. Someone mentioned replacing the "inverter". What is that?
KiWiBiRD

Inventor is located in the display assembly case, its usualy under the screen, it gives power to turn the tube light on so your screen becomes readable and bright.