Operating System - Microsoft
1752777 Members
6318 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Pinging/chaining proxy servers

valley_yuri

Pinging/chaining proxy servers

Hi there! I'm trying to learn all I can about computers and IT work now so I have a leg up on IT classes after I graduate my business course.

I read in a magazine that the code you're supposed to use to ping a proxy server is c:/ping (insert server address). Is this the right code? I can't seem to make it work, and the author of the article didn't mention how you're supposed to use it- be it in a browser window, from the hard drive, or what.

Also, I've been experimenting with chaining proxies that I know are verified (thanks to 3rd party proxy checkers). I can't get my chains to work at all! Would this be because I'm using an elite server where I'm trying all this out, or is there a specific info string you have to put in to make it work? Can someone help me? It's really getting frustrating and I'm feeling like a total dork. :P

Thanks a ton!
2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Pinging/chaining proxy servers

This is not a hardware question, so a better place for it would be the forum of the Operating System you're using. But anyway...

"c:/ping" looks like you might be using Windows. If so, it isn't entirely correct: the file to be executed is PING.EXE and it is normally located in the C:\Windows\system32 directory. Because that directory is part of a standard command search path, there should be no need to write the full path. (By the way, the difference between \ and / is significant: you cannot use one to replace the other.)

In Windows, the "ping" command is used in the command prompt window. In Windows XP, the command prompt window can be started in Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt. There will be a small bit of text immediately before the blinking cursor, often "C:\>". This is the prompt, which tells you two things:
1.) the command prompt window is using C:\ as its current directory (In a networked Windows environment, the letter may be different.)
2.) the window is ready to receive a command from you

Type "ping" and the server address to the command line and press the Enter key. The command should send four test messages to the server and report how long it took to get a reply back each time.

The "ping" command is a way to test that a basic IP network connection works, essentially one step up from "is it plugged in?" It should work with any server that uses TCP/IP network protocols, not just proxy servers. However, some firewalls may be configured to limit or block the messages used by the ping command.

About chaining proxies... you really have to describe what you're doing in more detail. You probably are talking about WWW proxies: there are many other kinds though.

"An elite server"? Hmm...
Chaining proxies is often done to bypass some access restrictions, or to cover your tracks. You might be doing something that might be illegal or otherwise frowned upon by the owners of the proxies.

"Beware the temptations of the dark side, padawan!" :-)
MK
Alan_152
Honored Contributor

Re: Pinging/chaining proxy servers

"ping" is the correct command for this, but if you type in "c:\ping", you are giving an explicit path to an executable -- which won't work because ping.exe is not in c:\ on most computers.

As a part-time college-level IT instructor, I would recommend that you read up on implicit versus explicit paths. Getting this concept down will put you light years ahead of your classmates.

I would suggest that you get a good handle on DOS, Windows, *nix, and networking basics before even thinking about messing with proxy servers.

ping works pretty well with all computers that have a valid, routable IP address (not just proxies). Get on google and do a search for "man ping", and while you are at it do a search for "man traceroute" (known as "tracert" in Windows). Try various URLs and see what you get. Whatever you do, though, don't mess with the default packet size until you get some experience; otherwise your ISP may be wanting to talk to you.