Operating System - Microsoft
1748054 Members
4756 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Printer Driver Installation

Wendell_8

Printer Driver Installation

I am trying to install just the printer driver for an HP 5500 series Officejet and a 1300 Series All-In-One on a machine being used for remote desktop connections. I cannot print on the client end as I cannot get the driver installed on the server. The printers are of course on the client end.

When I point the driver install wizard at the directory I unpacked the driver to, it picks up autorun.inf but doesn't offer me any printers to select a driver from.

This occurs for both printers. How can I force a W2K or a W2K3 server to install the driver without having to run the setup program?
5 REPLIES 5
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

You need point to something like
..\dj5550\2kxpinf\enu\drivers\Win2k_xp\hpf5550k.inf
and not to autorun.inf.
See for example http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?lc=en〈=en&cc=us&softwareitem=dj-7114-2&os=181&dlc=en&product=71896&printable=yes&
Must be similar for 1300 Series All-In-One
Wendell_8

well, i tried that but the only *.inf files found are in the base directory of the drivers i downloaded or ~\ENU\drivers\win9x_me\.

the ones in the base directory don't work and i'm not installing win9x/me drivers on a W2K or W2K3 server.

thanks for the help!
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

I think you downloaded driver for win95-98
I download this driver:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?dlc=en&softwareitem=dj-7114-2&lc=en&product=71896&os=181〈=en&cc=us&printable=no&
and after exctraction I have directory
D:\2kxpinf\enu\drivers\win2k_xp\
and file hpf5550k.inf in this directory.
Tom Leavitt
Honored Contributor

Wendell:
Hope this is on point.
It is recommended that instead of adding printer drivers to your Terminal Server to support new printers, that you map your unsupported printer to a built-in printer driver with similar capabilities. Here is a sample of the registry entry and inf file you'll need. These are derived from the Print Driver mapping lists on PrintingSupport.com The syntax of the inf file is:
"Unsupported printer listed in Event ID 1111" = "Built-in supported print driver"
Stefan from http://www.printingsupport.com/mambo/index.php
has also created a Installation Program so people not-so-comfortable with registry editing and customizing inf files can map RDP Printers. It creates the required registry entries and a sample inf file, which can be accessed via the Start Menu.
Tom

Learn From History
iamthestar
Advisor

Hi Wendell,

I think you have to install the drivers on the server through setup.exe, you will not be able to get the .inf file, after that you can map the drivers:
open my computer at the client side in the address bar type the name of your server and then you will get the printer name there you go, double click that one. finish.
FYI: drivers need to be the on both sides client and the server and the client which is using that printer.