Operating System - Microsoft
1753691 Members
5378 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

ProLiant DL120 Gen9 boot issues (Windows failed to start; A recent hardware or software)

Kevinpamu

ProLiant DL120 Gen9 boot issues (Windows failed to start; A recent hardware or software)

The server was upgraded from HDD to SSDs.

Works fine the first time it boots to windows. when the server is restarted, it comes up with the error message

"Windows failed to start; A recent hardware or software change might be the cause"

I can't get it to boot into the USB and fix windows, what is the best way to tackle this issue.
I can connect the drive to a windows machine and run a scan and fix issues. It'll boot the first time and then after the restart it goes back to the "windows filed to start..." screen. 

I haven't worked with proliant servers a lot, any help would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Kevinpamu

Re: ProLiant DL120 Gen9 boot issues (Windows failed to start; A recent hardware or softwar

If I need to start over, I can always start fresh on the upgrade from traditional HDD to SSD, I need the same OS and data to be on the SSDs though.

support_s
System Recommended

Query: ProLiant DL120 Gen9 boot issues (Windows failed to start; A recent hardware or software)

System recommended content:

1. HPE ProLiant Gen9 Servers - Troubleshooting No Boot Situations

2. HPE ProLiant DL120 G5 Server - RAID Setup

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

Kevinpamu

Re: Query: ProLiant DL120 Gen9 boot issues (Windows failed to start; A recent hardware or

Nothing that helps me in this situation.

BPSingh
HPE Pro

Re: Query: ProLiant DL120 Gen9 boot issues (Windows failed to start; A recent hardware or

Greetings!

Apart from the windows error, have you also noticed any hardware error on the POST or in iLO?

What is the model of the storage controller the SSDs are connected to?
What is the model of the SSD drives?
Are the drives pass through to the OS or do we have RAID configured?
What is the version of windows installed? 
Was the OS installed on a different machine and then the drives were transferred or was it installed on the same server?

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo