1748180 Members
4151 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Problems upgrading OS

DanMc

Problems upgrading OS

I have Windows ME and i tried to Install XP Pro, but its not letting be delete the partition, so i need to boot the XP Pro disk from the CD, But my Boot starts with cd before harddrive and it doesnt' Ask me to push a button to Boot from cd
... I need to know what button i need to press and when to boot from the XP PRO CD.
4 REPLIES 4
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: Problems upgrading OS

Dan:

You need to go into the BIOS Setup program and set the boot order of devices to Floppy/CDROM/Hard Drive. Depending on your system, you may have to press F10, F2, Esc, or Delete to enter the BIOS Setup program. After you turn power on, press the appropriate key ever 1-2 seconds until the program appears. Some machines prompt you when to do it. On most Compaq computers, you press F10 as soon as you see a flashing block cursor in the top rigt of the display.

HTH

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Bruno Ganino
Honored Contributor

DanMc, i don't know your PC, but ...
Keys used by enter in BIOS
HP Pavilion (most models) Press the F1 key as the computer starts at the blue HP screen.
HP Vectra and Kayak Press the F2 key as the computer starts at the blue HP screen.
Compaq Presario Press the F10 key when the red Compaq logo is displayed.
Dell Dimension Press the Delete key as the system turns on.
Dell OptiPlex Press the F2 key or Ctrl + Alt + Enter keys during startup.
Dell Latitude Press the FN + F1 keys simultaneously at any time.
Dell Inspiron and Latitude LM Press the F2 key during startup.
Gateway Press the F1 key as the computer starts.
IBM ThinkPad Press the FN + F1 keys simultaneously at any time.
IBM Aptiva Press the F1 key as the computer starts at the blue IBM screen.
HTH
Bruno

Torino (Turin) +2H
DanMc

i already set the boot sequence, its just supposedly i need to hit a button to boot from XP CD... what button would that be?
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Dan:

What normally happens is if the BIOS is setup correctly, a message will appear during the boot sequence that says "To boot from CDROM, press any key". If no key is pressed within about 5 seconds, it proceeds to the next device. If you're not getting the message, try placing the CDROM first in the list of bootable devices.

HTH

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger