108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Questions Authors and Points Assignments

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Jones_2
Frequent Advisor

I'm fairly new to the forum but I have contributed on a number of occasions. Some of my answers I have felt to be very helpful and I have even recieved a "thank you" from one individual. I have NO points. I wear hats to keep the sun off my head. This forum was a great help to me after the initial purchase of an HP product and now I peruse the forums looking for any info that may help me and any one I might help as well. A solution might be to present the question author with an email every time an answer gets posted, they check out the answer and are then directed to assign points right then to the value of the answer. Solutions are simple, keeping people willing to participate for the sole benefit of having helped others,....isn't. A very large "thank you" to all who have helped me and a modest "you're welcome" to those I may have helped. Let's leave it at that.
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

I totaly agree that life is a give and take coz otherwise we wouldn't be here! I really hate to say that most of the peers around here, they don't care about the points anymore because they have enough. How about when they first started contributing! did they havethe same feeling. I bet no, it wasn't! However, its good to know how others think. Moreover, I believe the issue of the users being unable to assign points is being taking care of and followed up by DAN( The ITRC Forums Manager).
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

John C:

The link probably failed because I parenthesized it. Sorry!

I guess I started out in the ITRC to share my knowledge (such as it is). The points made it more appealing to me (having grown up with four brothers, I can be quite competitive). After two years+, I confess to still being motivated (secondarily) by the points. As to whether I "think there might be more", I have a concept I'd like to share (since you asked).

My idea is that these forums provide a very valuable service not only to the correspondents but to HP as well, by providing their users/customers with technical support at a relatively low cost to HP. So I think HP should expand the 'points' program so people could 'trade' their points for training, software, hardware, etc. Pretty RAD, eh!

Oh, BTW XMAN, I don't think I'll ever have 'enough' points. ;^)

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
John Collier
Esteemed Contributor

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." Stephen Krebbet, 1793-1855
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Well... I agree with several of the opinions here.

I attempt to answer questions because:
1. The challange of finding an answer to something I may or may not have ever seen before.

2. I've helped someone learn something they didn't know before, and maybe they go help someone... and so on...

3. And of course the game of points. Which is truely a game. I probably won't get a Olympian wreath for primarily working the MS side of the forums, But being the first to get to 2500 with a pure MS crown might be fun!

Should we make it manditory? - No!
Should HP use an initial (but short) form outlining the point award system prior to posting questions? - Might work.. kind of like a nag screen, until maybe the 5th or 6th question has been posted and points have been awarded. More like training wheels. :-)

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
John Jones_2
Frequent Advisor

I'm in good company. A correction to my last post...I have 15 points! It feels so good. I hadn't thought about the advantages for HP in this situation. Good point! That makes the points worth a little more and should put a little more responsibility on HP to prod people into awarding them. I'm glad there are people out there that will help for the sake of helping. I'll leave it to you Pharohs, wizzards and Roman Emporers to work out the details.
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Roger,

I wasn't pointing out to you about forumers who don't care about the points anymore coz they think they have enough.

I strongly believe that most of us hanging around here for the sake of help and competition to give the solution before the others do, as I do know that if the questioners really care about assigning points, you, JON FINLEY and RON KINNER would be Olympians by now.

In regard of HP awarding the peers around here. I would suggest that they should send some kind of Aknowledgement and Recognition Certification for being a member of the ITRC Forums after acheiving a certain level. Moreover, perhaps some free Technical Courses as Roger mentioned.

Hope somebody will hear out there!!
"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
rob bergin
Frequent Advisor

HP should give away free classes for every 10,000 points like frequent flier miles or allow users to redeem 1,000 points for $10 off or something.

I am in a NNM class with 5 students, we have 12 empty seats - surely HP could give the class away to an ITRC power user for the cost of the class in exchange for redemption of points.

The big thing would be if someone redeemed their points would they be able to keep their hats?!?!?!?!

Thanks.

Rob
Paul R. Dittrich
Esteemed Contributor

Here's my $.02 on a piece of this discussion that I have not seen in the numerous threads:

I get an extra thrill, over and above any possible points, in providing an answer to someone who already has a fair number of points to their credit. To me, being able to help someone who has so convincingly demonstrated their ability and willingness to help others is better than getting a bunny from someone with few or no points. Someday I hope to be able to provide even a partial answer for one of the Olympians......

Paul
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi XMAN,

you have given a bunny, so your thread is closed? ;-)
Assigning points is a never ending story...
And there are very much threads from blaming members because of giving never points to global discussions about it.
You shouldn't ask Dan - you can find enough answers from him as well in his threads as well in others.
I participate to the forum since half a year and I came from the side reading problems and giving answers. So I read about the problem soon.
Yes, points are a motivation and they are a guide line.
When I see a question with a bunny then the author is 'happy' now, his problem is solved (most times), the thread is closed.
I can focus to threads without bunny.
And it is nice to have a hat - and with every new hat it is less disappointing to get no points for an answer.

So keep on foruming
Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***