1752316 Members
5915 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ROK and Updating

Susan Hebel
Advisor

ROK and Updating

I have a question.. can a ROK 2012r2 can be used to upgrade a windows  2008r2 server?

I have a customer with old software and doesn't want to get rid of it.  I convinced him to take a leap of faith and  at least you upgrade to a level that is still supported by MS. So I need to do an inplace upgrade.  So I was wondering if the ROK will support that option.  I know this is risky but there is no other way. OR will I need to wipe the C partition and upgrade from there. The other question is can I only wipe out the C: drive not the whole server if a wipe and install from scratch is necessary?

5 REPLIES 5
Anu_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

I found this information from one of the source "Windows Server 2012 R2 downgrade rights are granted to end-users in the license terms and allow them to use priorversions of the software—such as Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows Server 2008—until they are ready to migrate to the latest version of Windows Server." (https://community.hpe.com/t5/Alliances/Do-You-Know-About-Windows-Server-Downgrade-Rights/ba-p/6865580#.YK5BhagzaMo)

Hope it helps!

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

Susan Hebel
Advisor

Maybe I didn't make myself clear..I would like to use the old ROK 2012R2 to upgrade a server from 2008R2.  The upgrade needs to happen.  I was wondring if it would do an upgrade rather then a drive wipe an install

Anu_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

My apologies! I had different understanding of your question earlier.

I don't think ROK supports upgrade option.

Found this information regarding HPE OEM versions, "Unlike Microsoft media, where the customer may already have a server running on an old version of Windows Server, OEM media can only be sold with new servers, so the assumption is that there is no upgrade. Because of that assumption, Hewlett Packard Enterprise has disabled the upgrade function. If a customer wants to upgrade to a new version of Windows Server, then the new version will need to be reinstalled." (Source of thsi information: https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/4aa4-3787enw?jumpid=in_lit-psnow-red , question no.60)

I am afraid you may have to do the fresh installation on this.

Note: "While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company."

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

AmRa
HPE Pro

Based on HPE FAQ for Microsoft OEM licensing— Windows Server, please find the below answer of your query.

Why does HPE OEM media not support upgrade installation, while Microsoft media does?

Unlike Microsoft media, where the customer may already have a server running on an old version of Windows Server, OEM media can only be sold with new servers, so the assumption is that there is no upgrade. Because of that assumption, Hewlett Packard Enterprise has disabled the upgrade function. If a customer wants to upgrade to a new version of Windows Server, then the new version will need to be reinstalled.

For more information please refer below link.

https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/4aa4-3787enw?jumpid=in_lit-psnow-red

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
imulade

You can only upgrade OEM to OEM, or ROK to ROK!
Its crazy but it's the only way!

a change to another Hardware-Seller is more difficult... not stupid