Re: Realone player

SOLVED
Go to solution
lonny
Advisor

Realone player

This is not a question..
meary a comment to the pro's here.
I recently installed the latest realone player free addition..had been along time since running scandisk and defrag so I booted to safe mode and did --strange we got the old message scandisk has restarted ten times do you want to continue ?
Why no---so check msconfig theres a new addition from realone even in safe mode--wierd so I uncheck it and restart--upon next safemode no problems.

I checked all my startups web sites and found simular info
seams realone will incert into startup again every time its started ---I had three by the way at one time...there is a work around though---
It just dont make sence to me why realone does anything in safe mode ....While there I found hp scanpacth---we use a 648c deskjet
Wonder why this is there -ive stopped it--
Info from a startup site
""HP ScanPatch
Program that starts up and automatically fixes earlier versions of the Scanjet 5100c software. If a Scanjet 5100C scanner is not going to be used, then it is safe to remove or prevent from starting"""

Good day

Lonny
3 REPLIES 3
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor
Solution

Lonny,

If you insist on running RealOne make sure you run ZoneAlarm at the same time. www.zonelabs.com and do not let RealOne talk to the Internet. It is pretty much spyware and likes to report back to its master.

Ron
lonny
Advisor

Well ive got win me so i hesitate adding useing up more recources--or I would consider a firewall.
Its not that I like realone
I had deleted it --it didnt want to go .
I had not known that my isp's propriatary browser install's an old version of realone compuserve 2000..so I gad to
install the newest one disable browsers mutimedia within browser---now I can uninstall it if I choose to.
Anyway I was able to stop it
by renaming its phone home exe or scedule exe..
I just posted here incase someone has scandisk problems
This is a new one one me..
Lonny
NightHawk_1
Frequent Advisor

Any "Real" software is full of spyware. It well change all your internet options, mess up ISP settings, and prevent you from using mail and explorer. HP has already recommended not using any "Real" software. It will automatically send info the minute you startup explorer or will try to if you have cable modem which is online all the time. I highly recommend you get some type of firewall protection. ZoneAlarm is good and it is free.
Bite Me