108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Remote Desktop Software - off topic - I know

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Cast
Frequent Advisor

Remote Desktop Software - off topic - I know

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a remote desktop software (that's free), that allows you to connect from a windows machine to a windows machine with (and here's the catch) the other person being able to view what your doing. I know they make payware for this (citrix & symantec come to mind), but is there anything like that for free? (yes, I know about microsoft terminal services client, aka remote desktop, but it locks the machine as soon as you connect)
Today is different and tomorrow the same.
8 REPLIES 8
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>off topic - I know

If you know, then put it in a better forum, probably Microsoft. I'll ask the moderators to move it here.
Srimalik
Valued Contributor

you can use VNC.

Thanks
Sri
abandon all hope, ye who enter here..
Dave Cast
Frequent Advisor

Dennis - 10 Points

My bad manners are only exceeded by your bad manners.
Dave Cast
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Srikrishan...I was hoping for something a little less clunky than VNC...
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Try LogMeIn (www.logmein.com). The free connection has a lot more features than Remote Desktop including a bandwidth limiter (display B&W rather than color) for slow connections. It uses a web page port so it works in many corporate environments. Like GotoMyPC, WebEx and others, there is a central server that talks to the remote PC. You establish a connection via the central server and both you and the remote PC show the same screen, ideal to walk users through various steps. It includes controls for remote sound, white board, etc.

When you connect to the remote PC, a transparent message box pops up to show the remote connection and the remote user has the option to turn off LogMeIn connections. They also have premium services (payware) that adds features like file transfers.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dave Cast
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, Bill

A friend of mine had shown me that about a year ago and I had completely forgotten about it...
Jeeshan
Honored Contributor

there is a feature in Micro$oft windows server is the terminal server. which enables you to monitor which user is connected and what he's doing?
a warrior never quits
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

We use Microsoft Configuration manager 2007 Remote control (not free) in internal network, but when client doesn't not have configuration manager client we use
http://www.tightvnc.com/ (free version of VNC)

And for computers connected to Internet -
LogMeIn is the best !
We tried different remote solutions before found LogMeIn.