1753658 Members
5352 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SPP 2018.03 - hp node inventory failed

AND123
Occasional Visitor

SPP 2018.03 - hp node inventory failed

I launch in Windows Server 2012R SPP 2018.03, under the local administrator. When connecting to a local host, the SPP produces an error: hp node inventory failed can not perform the operation now. reason: incorrect username / password.
Server HP DL380G10
What's my mistake? How can I fix it?

On the server HP DL380G9 - everything is fine and without errors

8 REPLIES 8
Stuart_Lawrance

Hi

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I am having the same issue with an ML110 Gen10 and SPP 2019.03.1.

Thanks

pragav
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Are you getting the error from  Windows start - Run hpsum.bat "Run as administrator" ? or with a bootable flash drive?

Do you have Password set in BIOS , if yes either remove the password or register it in the inventory and they try again.

Thanks 

Dave-the-IT-Guy
Occasional Visitor

You haven't made a mistake.  It's poorly designed software with even poorer documentation.

Here's what you have to do to fix it:

1)  Launch the "launch_sum.bat" from your DVD / Virtual Media / USB on your Windows Server.  Make sure you're running with an Administrator account (it doesn't have to be THE Administrator account - a simple "Run as Administrator" will do.)

2)  Open a browser and navigate to the link the "launch_sum.bat" provides.  Type in your Windows administrative account username and password.

3)  Now - before you do anything - click the little down arrow to the left of "Smart Update Manager 8.4.0" in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.  Select the "Nodes" option in the menu that pops out.

4)  It will probably start looking for the node and show a "Invalid password ..." deal.  That's OK - ignore it for now.

5)  Instead, click on "localhost" in the left-hand pane to make sure it is highlighted and selected.

6)  Now, look at the upper-right-hand side of the screen for the green "Actions" button with a down arrow.  Click the down arrow next to "Actions".

7)  Choose the "Edit" option from the menu.

Scroll down just a bit and you'll see TWO credentials sections:  "Credentials" and "iLO Credentials".

9)  Enter a Windows account username and password (that has administrative permissions) in the username and password boxes in the "Credentials" section.  It doesn't have to be THE built-in Administrator account.

10)  Next, enter your iLO username and password in the username and password boxes under "iLO Credentials."

11)  Now click on the green "OK" button at the bottom.

Holy jumping snot-balls!  The freaking thing actually WORKS now!  Why this isn't in the official documentation is beyond me.  Hope this helps you out (and others that might find this.)

After you do the above, you can then click on the down arrow next to "Smart Update Manager 8.4.0" and choose "Localhost Guided Update" to do your normal update routine.

NOTE:  After you do this once, it seems to save it on the server itself so future sessions will "just work."

Nash1

2021, worked as a charm on SUM 8.8.0

THANK YOU !!!

Never again HP servers in my enviroment, Dells are way easier to manage...

Integraxp
Occasional Contributor

Worked perfectly with Sum 8.9.0

Got to agree that this is poorly designed. It seems incredible that a piece of software which has been under development for so many years can still be so awful. Why this failed on this machine and not on any other that I've had to update, I have no idea. You would think that, if something fails due to an autentication error, that it would ask for credentials while stating very specifically what credentials its looking for.

ay_jay
Advisor

Do you have a solution for this using only the iLO5 console on a ESXi server?  I'm not using Windows to run this update.  I created a custom SPP package which I've attached as virtual media to the iLO console.

Dave-the-IT-Guy
Occasional Visitor

Greetings ay_jay,

I apologize, but I'm completely unfamiliar with ESXi.  (I know what it is, but we don't use it in my environment - we use Hyper-V instead.)

That said, I'd check the HP documentation to see if they've got a similar setup to Windows whereby they've got a script or something you run under the ESXi's host OS that provides a similar service.  If it does, and if ESXi has user accounts similar to Windows / *nix-based OSes, you probably need to enter your ESXi administrative user account credentials instead of the Windows credentials I specified in my original post.

Apologies that I don't have more information for you.  I know how frustrating it is to deal with software that doesn't have very good documentation (HP iLO - I'm looking at YOU.)

JWW-CSISD
Frequent Visitor

Apparently this is STILL necessary in SUM 10.6.0! Thanks so much for this answer!