1752556 Members
4433 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Safely remove hardware icon

bachippy
Occasional Contributor

Safely remove hardware icon

I have a new HP TX2130EA laptop running Vista home premium 32 bit.

I have noticed that every time I switch on the laptop the Safely Remove Hardware Icon comes up in the notification area. When I left click it I'm told I can safely remove the CD/DVD device.
However this is not an external device but the one that came as an integral part of the laptop.
Clearly I don't want to permanently hide the icon as there will be times I want to safely remove things but at the same time I want the laptop to recognise the CD/DVD device as part of itself so that the icon isn't always there.

I have contacted HP and tried numerous solution all of which have failed. Before I go for a full recovery I wanted to see if anyone on here had any ideas.

Cheers
2 REPLIES 2
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: Safely remove hardware icon

Hi:

This manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01343334.pdf

on page 13 shows an 'Optical Drive Release Latch'. If the drive is indeed removeable from its bay, that could account for your problem.

Clearly, the manual is at least somewhat generic since it supports the TX2000 family of laptops but you should be able to turn yours over and check if the latch exists.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
bachippy
Occasional Contributor

Re: Safely remove hardware icon

Don't see how that helps me.

I know I can remove the drive just like I can remove the battery but I don't want the laptop to think of the drive as something I want to remove all the time. I want it to be accepted as an integral part of the the laptop as that was how I bought it!