Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - Microsoft
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Searching for good Windows user group

Raynald Boucher
Super Advisor

Searching for good Windows user group

Hello all,

I would like to schedule a job to run on all of our LAN workstations (20).
How can I do this without going to each machine and repeating the same steps which quite time consuming besides forcing users to logoff etc etc.

Does anybody know the solution?
or of a quality web site (similar to the itrc) on which I could resgister to obtain the answers or insights to this and other Windows admin questions?

Thanks.
Rayb.
3 REPLIES
Ganesh Babu
Honored Contributor

Re: Searching for good Windows user group

The best way i could think of is..
(Assuming u r in the administrator group of all the machines)

i) Create the schedule task that u want to do it to the otehr machine in your machine.
ii) Now copy the schedule and paste to your c:\ or d:\
iii) This will copy a file called *.job
iv)Now Click Start -> Run then give
\\
v) If u r in the administrator group of that machine u will see the schedule task folder
vi) double click open the folder and past the task.. that is it..
vii) u can do it for each machine..

Ganesh
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

If your Users have a login script defined in their account profile, you can have the script run the AT command to schedule a job for later.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

You didn't state what OS you're running (or what your workstations are running), but if it's 2000 or 2003 then you can make a change to the default group policy to have a startup or shutdown script run. You would wind up doing the same thing (run a script that has the AT command schedule a job for later), but it's defined ONCE for the entire domain, rather than at a User level.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda