Operating System - Microsoft
1748265 Members
3882 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Shared memory on a dedicated video card

Hyden Laurence

Shared memory on a dedicated video card

I currently have an HP Laptop model dv9437. It has Windows Vista home premium on it...Whatever. The problem that I am facing is that it is supposed to have a dedicated video card with 256 mb of memory. For some reason, Windows Vista is trying to add another 256 mb of memory for a total of 512 mb and it is majorly slowing down my graphics performance. Can someone please help me disable the shared memory portion or at least offer me an explination as to why my graphics performance is so poor in my machine? Any hlp would be deeply appreciated. Thank you.
7 REPLIES 7
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

I think !in you're bios you could remove the option video shared,by disabling or puting zero.

Dan
Hyden Laurence

Thank you but the Bios is pretty locked down unless someone knows any advace key configuration I can push to allow me further access into the Bios?
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Typically, you press F10 as soon as you see the HP logo to enter BIOS setup.

Make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Hyden Laurence

Thank you for your response. I can get into the bios without a problem. The issue is that the bios lets your change very little. If anyone knows of a way do unlock all of the abilities of the bios, please let me know.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Hi:

Is it possible that your laptop is a DV9347 rather than a DV9437?

Could you tell us specifically what you'd like to change in the BIOS Setup? Where do you see that Vista is trying to assign 512MB of RAM for video?

Thanks and make a great day!

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Hyden Laurence

.... I suppose it would helo if I did get my model # correct. Sorry about that. I have the HP dv9347cl notebook. It showm me that My memory card is sharing memory with windows when I got to display properties and click on advance setting. It is stated on the adapter page. It says total available graphics memory is 527 MB, 256 MB of which is dedicated. I know that Vista is a beast but there is no reason why my video card should preform worse with vista than with XP... I just want to find a way to speed up my graphics. I have even turned most of the features off but it still does not produce good results. I have the geforce 7600 with 256 dedicated. I would like to access advanced features in the Bios like my normal computer so that I can turn various features on and off such as shared memory. voltage ect. I know that playing with the Bios voids the warranty but I have never had an issue yet. Thank you for your response.
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Hyden:

I've never heard anything about BIOS changes voiding a warranty (with the possible exception of many bit-level changes to support overclocking, for instance).
Make a great day!

Roger