Operating System - Microsoft
1753899 Members
7614 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Symantec GhostCast Server 8.0 Unicast Process Time Completion

David Smith_31

Symantec GhostCast Server 8.0 Unicast Process Time Completion

Started a GhostCast Session and it take over four hours to complete an Image Creation. What can I do to speed up the process for just one connected client????
3 REPLIES 3
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: Symantec GhostCast Server 8.0 Unicast Process Time Completion

Network.. Network... Network.

Make sure that the drivers are the correct and up-to-date drivers for the system's NIC, and that it supports 100+ full duplex.

Should have 100+ through the entire path to your GhostCast Server.

Make sure that you are NOT saturating your network at the router

Look at your ping times in trying to reach your server (fast or slow in reaching your server, dropped packets, etc.).

Specify the IP address of the server in the session.

Use a fixed IP for the Ghost boot disk, etc.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
David Smith_31

Thanks Jon,albeit all aspect of the Network Settings was checked over and over again. Could it be the NIC Setting somehow reset from the 100MB to AutoDetect or the number of hops was left at the default 16. I'll check these two setting once the session is complete. Thanks for your input....
Seth Parker
Trusted Contributor

David,

I'm not sure if this will apply here, but I once had an issue I didn't notice until I was using Ghost on a computer. It turned out that the integrated 3Com NIC had its settings changed and it was set to 10MB. The only way to fix it was to download 3Com's DOS config tool and change the settings.

If Jon's suggestions don't help, which they should, please post more information:

1. What NICs are involved?

2. What filesystem (NTFS, FAT, ext3, etc.)?

3. How are the computers connected to each other, as in what's between the computers on the LAN?

4. How are you pulling the image (Ghost Console, Peer-to-peer, etc.)?

5. How big is the image you're trying to pull?

Four hours seems incredibly excessive, unless you're trying to pull a really large image over a very poor link.

Regards,
Seth