1752781 Members
6391 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to detect CD?DVD Combo on Presario V4000

Ashish Chandra

Unable to detect CD?DVD Combo on Presario V4000

Hi,

This is Ashish. 2 mths back bought a Compaq Presario V4000 laptop. For last 15 days my laptop is unable to detect the CD/DVD drive. Me using Windows XP SP2 Home Edition. Tried to use "Add New Hardware" / "Load system default" from BIOS, but of no help, the issue still remains. Any possible solution for the said problem??

Ashish
7 REPLIES 7
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

Right-click My Computer and select Manage.
Under System Tools select Device Manager.
In the right hand pane, you will see something like DVD/CD-ROM Drives, expand this. You should now see your CD/DVD drive.

Have a look at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310126 and let me know what you find.

BTW, make sure that your Windows Updates are bang up-to-date and your anti-virus software is too. When you've done that run a virus scan on your hard disk.

Regards,

Gary
Ashish Chandra

Hi Gary,

Thx for ur prompt reply. The solution which u have given is related to "IRQ Conflicts/related stuff", but, mine problem is different. The laptop is unable to detect the CD drive. After loading the OS, there is no icon anywhere in system related to said device. In such case what can be done??

Ashish
Gary Cooper_1
Esteemed Contributor

What I was looking for with the link was a hint about what sort of error (black ! on yellow background, etc.) But you say it's not listed in Device manger.

Have you tried removing the CD/DVD drive, rebooting the computer (and logging on), shutting down the computer, replacing the CD/DVD drive and rebooting?
You can find the procedure for removing the drive here - http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00530488.pdf

Regards,

Gary
Karthik_18
Advisor

Hi Asish!

It might be due to corruption in the registry. I have attached the Word document which shows what are all the registry keys to be deleted . Try that and let us know what happens?
Steven Carr

I also have a V4000 and cannot detect the CD/DVD drive.

Could you tell me please what, if any, registry keys need to be deleted?
-:RaFa:-
Advisor

Asihsih.

the answer provided by kathik should work.

At times when the filters are corrupt the CD/DVD drives are not detected.

If u are not able to follow the steps provided by karth, then install this patch , it works...

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

if the issue still persists then you may consider unpluging and repluging the cables.

remember, unplug the cables boot thye compuyter, then shut it down, connect the cable and then boot it again.

shopuld work

cheers.... :)
If you cannot convince them, then confuse them..
Karthik_18
Advisor

hi Asish !

Wat happened? is any method mentioned working? let us know

Cheers

Karthik