1752808 Members
5731 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Universal font

Randy DeMaat

Universal font

I have a user who is missing the the 'Univers' and 'Univers Condensed' font selection in Microsoft Word 97 and Excel. I have it and others do also. He use to have it and wants it back. I found a Microsoft article, Q123084, that states this is an HP font. File names are, according to the article, UNIVER* and UNIVCD*. I can't find these files anywhere. Anybody have any ideas as to how I get these fonts back on this users machine? Windows NT.
3 REPLIES 3
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Re: Universal font

Hi Randy,

That font ships with a number of HP printer drivers. I'm not sure what model printers you have, but if some folks have that font, take a look at their printers and install that printer.

The font from HP is also included on the HP FontSmart CD that ships with several printers. You can call the printer support group if you need a copy of that software at 208-323-2551. You might also look out on the Internet as there are many free font sites that probably have it to download.

Best regards,
Jamie Hughes
Jamie Hughes
Honored Contributor

Hi Randy,

There could be another explanation for that font not showing up in some users profiles and does show up for others. Are these users perhaps running different operating systems? If so, that font might not show up in NT 4.0 applications for the Laserjet 4050 PCL6 or PCL5e printers as documented here:

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/cspt/ljxxxx/dyndocwrap.pl?lid=general&fid=bpl07184&pid=

You should post a question to the printer forum or give them a call at 208-323-2551 if you can't get this working. I'm not sure what model you have, so start here and look for thier forum:

http://forum.support.hp.com

Regards,
Jamie Hughes
Randy DeMaat

Jamie, thanks for the info. It pointed me in the right direction. One of our hardware/printers guys has since run into the same issue and did indeed have to use the HP FontSmart CD to correct the problem.
Thanks again!