Operating System - Microsoft
1752620 Members
4454 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Using Print to File to get a GIF Image?

Tim Skelton

Using Print to File to get a GIF Image?

I need to get a GIF image representation of a document and need to do this in an automated fashion using Visual Basic in batch. I was wondering whether any of the HP printer/plotter drivers could accomplish this via the "print to file" method such that the resultant file was a GIF. Anyone know if this is possible or have an alternative method of achieving this?
2 REPLIES 2
Hal Rottenberg
Frequent Advisor

When you print to file, you will not get a gif image. You will get a file in "printer language". You could perhaps print to file, using a postscript printer driver, then programmatically convert that postscript file to a raster format such as GIF or PNG. I'm not a programmer so I can't give you any specifics, but I know enough about the subject to say that I'm sure there are libraries you can download/buy to do some of these things in your program. Another thing to try is to ask your question in a Visual Basic forum instead of a Windows forum.

Regards,

Hal Rottenberg
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you.
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure you really want to go to .gif where you are potentially looking at some enormous files. My thought is that Adobe ( http://www.adobe.com ) may have a solution more in line with what you are attempting to accomplish. The .pdf format seems to be a better candidate but your post does not give us any details regarding what you plan to do with the images down the road.