Operating System - Microsoft
1752337 Members
5756 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Vectra VL800/WinXP Pro -> W2K Server

Conrad Chan_1

Vectra VL800/WinXP Pro -> W2K Server

Just got a Vectra VL800 (P4/256MB/40GB) running Pre-loaded Windows XP Professional. No problem joining the W2K domain with DNS pointing to the UNIX DNS server. However, when domian user logon (w & w/o local admin right), it takes about 5 minutes everytime before the desktop will show up. Looks like it's waiting for something to time-out?! Check the event log, getting all kinds of error complaint about Event ID: 1053, 15, 1000, 5719, 40961, 11162...(can't find the Domain Controller, establish secured connection) I understand most of them refer to non-DDNS being used. However, same network configurations running on other W2K/WinXP Pro machines, it only takes close to 5 minutes for the first time sign-on and the subsequent sign-on works fine.

I have tried to upgrade the Vectra VL BIOS, 3C905C NIC drivers but still getting the same response. Is it possible that there're something wrong with the Pre-loaded image or hardware configuration? Configure/force WinXP to run in NT domain (mixed) mode because no DDNS server running? Any suggestion/advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance...
2 REPLIES 2
Jon Finley
Honored Contributor

Re: Vectra VL800/WinXP Pro -> W2K Server

The 5719 and others can be caused by an incorrect entry in either the hosts or lmhosts files. If you're NOT using an lmhosts file, make sure that Enable LMHOSTS Lookup is NOT checked under the TCP/IP protocol.

Jon
"Do or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda
Conrad Chan_1

Re: Vectra VL800/WinXP Pro -> W2K Server

Thanks, Jon. That is, in fact, a good hints. However, I have not make any changes to the hosts/lmhosts file after running the factory restoration CD. What is the difference between W2K & WinXP when logging into W2K domain? The problem/error seems only happened to WinXP machines...